1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Bike still make those double-knit polyester coaches shorts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Starting next week, I make my first foray into coaching as my 3-year-old son starts "wee ball."

"Wee ball" is like tee-ball, except you play with a foam bat and ball and every hit is a home run unless you throw the bat. There's no score, so all it is basically is just a way for eight 3-year-olds to burn off some energy and test my patience every Saturday morning. Still, I want to look as much like a coach as possible, and I recall from my playing days that every coach wore the Bike shorts at practice. Hence the question in the subject title.

Also, the league named my team the White Sox, giving me several options for a logo. Do I stick with the contemporary classic look, or should I use the logo from when LaMarr Hoyt pitched on three-days rest and an eight ball of coke?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I got a whole drawer full... want the compression shorts too?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

unless you're not planning on more kids don't wear those bike shorts

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I honest to god know a guy who wears those bike shorts... Scary as hell... Made even scarier by the fact that he can squat JDV, his brother and a Honda, and he makes Jack La Lanne seem like a manic depressive.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The coaching ensemble has to be completed with a pair or white tube socks pulled up to knees. And the socks need to have three color bands at the top.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Plus you need the white turf shoes with the flaps.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

don't forget the Spotbilts and tight golf shirt with "COACH" silk screened on the left breast.

EDIT: Fuck! Smasher beat me to it

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Is Bike still in business?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

still in business, not sure if they still make the shorts though

http://www.bikeathletic.com/product.aspx?catId=10

how about those old vinyl winbreakers that were about as durable as a ziploc bag

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Used compression shorts? Thanks, but pass.

Besides, I already have a pair of those.

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Bike stopped making those shorts but you might be able to find a pair at a older sporting goods store. Don't think you'll find them at Dick's or The Sports Authority. $22.95 plus S&H will get you a pair of "genuine Bike double-knit polyester coaches shorts" from this website (see below). They have them in 5 different colors but are limited in sizes.

http://www.homerunexpress.com/bik-34887.html

If they don't have your size, just google "bike coaches shorts" and you find some more places that have them. You might even try Ebay.

Here's a site that that has 100% vista poly doubleknit 7" coaches shorts for cheap money ($8.95) but they don't say if they're "genuine Bike" shorts.

http://www.athleticsgalore.com/specials/coaches_shorts.htm

If you end up going with the mid-70's look, you might as well use the logo and look of the 1976 White Sox when they actually wore navy blue shorts in an August 8th game vs. the Royals. See below:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

this also belongs on the 'you know you're old school when ..." thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted