1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Bautista stand a chance at the AL MVP?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Sep 17, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Says to eat a dick:

[​IMG]

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What about Paul Konerko? He is currently fifth in batting average, second in home runs and fifth in RBI for a team that is 12 games over .500 and at least mathematically alive in mid-September?

I'd still give it to Cabrera, but I'd put Konerko a bit ahead of Cano and well ahead of Mauer.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Derek Jeter

4. The Answer is Daniel Nava!!!

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This guy? He doesn't even PLAY baseball!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I read somewhere about some of Cabrera's credentials. If you look at just road stats, Cabrera has done much better than Hamilton, who is helped by playing in a smaller home park.

Also, when you consider Cabrera probably sees about two hittable pitches per game, it's amazing what he's still been able to accomplish. I believe he's up to 30 intentional walks this season (not anywhere close to Bonds, but that's a lot).

7. outofplace

Actually, their overall ratios are fairly comparable outside of batting average. Hamilton has the big edge there (.361 to .333), but Cabrera still has a higher OPS (1.053 to 1.049) because he walks a lot more. Cabrera also has more runs, home runs and RBI.

You are correct that when you figure road numbers alone, Cabrera has a huge advantage. He plays in a pitcher's park while Hamilton has his home games in the best hitter's park in the American League.

Here are their road numbers
    Cabrera: .329 average, .411 OBP, .655 slugging, 46 runs, 21 HR, 64 RBI
    Hamilton: .327 average, .382 OPS, .512 slugging, 39 runs, 10 HR, 43 RBI

Obviously, it helps Hamilton's cause that the Rangers are going to the playoffs and the Tigers are not, but he has a hell of a lot more help than Cabrera does.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Bautista hit no. 48 tonight. He might get into the mid-50s the rate he's at.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Josh Hamilton is missing a few weeks of September games, but should it hold him back considering the Rangers built a big AL West lead largely due to Hamilton's play?

When Texas built their lead, Hamilton was AMAZING.

Where's Robinson Cano in the conversation, too?

10. outofplace

Hamilton had a lot of help from the lineup around him and from the ballpark he plays in. Cano belongs in the discussion, too. I just think he is a step behind Hamilton, Cabrera, Bautista and Konerko.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A-Rod for the last-place Texas Rangers in 2003.

12. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

No.

He shouldn't even crack the top five in voting.

Vote should be:
    1. Josh Hamilton
    2. Miguel Cabrera
    3. Paul Konerko
    4. Robinson Cano
    5. Joe Mauer

Jose Bautista's sudden power surged season is most similar to the 1996 season of Brady Anderson. In 1996 Brady Anderson stats were .297/.396/.637 with 50HRs, 110 RBI as the leadoff hitter for a playoff team. Anderson finished 9th in the MVP voting.

Draft saved Draft deleted