1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Appearing in a Movie Impair A Sportswriter's Objectivity?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Jan 12, 2008.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I actually don't even understand the question here. Unless you're a movie critic or, like someone else said, a reporter who covers, uh, sports network news, I don't get it. If I cover, say, the Baltimore Ravens, how could appearing in a movie make my Ravens coverage less fair?

Sometimes, we take ourselves a lot too seriously.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm right there with you, sir.

3. consider the source

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ditto... Let them have their fun...

5. To use the language of this forum: bite me... :-X

But seriously, I asked the question out of curiosity because there are times people may have or may need to cover something ESPN or some other carrier has done, and I just wondered if it was considered an issue.

What if the network erroneously reported a story about a Raven's player or coach or staff member. If you had been compensated for a role in a production, would you have to go out of your way to criticize them, or if you didn't might it be said that the objectivity is lost?

Sooooo, any thoughts on the return of American Idol tonight?

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Ok, I now at least know where the question is coming from, but the answer remains a swift and emphatic, "No."

Draft saved Draft deleted