1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Appearing in a Movie Impair A Sportswriter's Objectivity?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You are owed a trunk full of Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks in residuals, gingerb. Please report to (address redacted) in Coney Island and dial (number redacted) and ask for Stephon Marbury's cousin.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem with it.

I missed out on a chance to be an extra in Major League II. I didn't tell my dad about it until
    after the thing happened. He said "I would have done it!"

I was pissed.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Unless their primary job is to write about ESPN/Disney, why would it matter?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Oddly enough, Tom Berenger is pissed he was in it too.
    It cost him his chance to be in Substitute II.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I have MLII on DVD and it's autographed by an extra.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I would have killed to be a part in that movie. I wish Wesley Snipes would have thought the same. And I, too, own II. I bought a friend of mine Back To The Minors for Festivus. He watched it the other day, but has yet to give me his take. I'm thinking that's an indication in itself.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

I don't know how Snipes would pair with Jesse Ventura in Black Thunder, White Lightening.

How could your friend not like The Buzz and Scott Bakula

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Mine fell the hardest."
    "Mine are the deadest."

I'm not sure if he liked the movie. He's a big Uecker, fan -- and who isn't? -- but I'm not sure if he'd get on the Downtown train.

9. Jeremy Goodwin

It's hard to live up to the first two, and the third's plot is a stretch, if I recall correctly. I haven't seen III for a few years and I've only seen it once or twice.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Elaborate for the unwashed, pls.

11. To be fair, it would be hard not to rip Varsity Blues.

P.S. -- Maybe Dickie Dunn can check in and explain what it was like after doing Slap Shot (don't go telling me he wasn't real, either).

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

A "stretch" is putting it lightly.

Draft saved Draft deleted