1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Appearing in a Movie Impair A Sportswriter's Objectivity?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by eyeonsportsmedia, Jan 12, 2008.

1. They gave Olin a speaking part ... then, in a subequent column, he ripped the credibility of the movie's realism.

So I'd say 'no' to that objectivity compromised thing

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I know I probably speak for a lot of people in this business when I say -- who gives a shit about objectivity when you can make big bucks for doing nothing. In this age of salary cuts, cutbacks, budget cuts -- it is bullshit that any employer would even think about limiting your ability to make extra money based on some archaic idea of what neutral and objective is.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Only if it's a snuff film

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think it matters.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Note to self: Cancel Thursday plans.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

How do you know they were paid?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Don't they have to be, legally (or, at least, according to union rules)?

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I know plenty of people who've appeared in movies without being paid. Heck, I happened to be walking the dog a few weeks ago and we accidentally went straight through a Sex and the City (the movie) scene as they were filming. (Big and Carrie were fighting).
    They never cut, and I was told later it'll probably be in the movie (assuming the entire scene doesn't get snipped). Apparently they thought my dog looked very New York. (Not kidding: crazy lady in my building told me today my dog is "sexy.")
    They could have at least offered to pay me in cosmos ;)

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, I guess I mean if they're actually there to serve a purpose, not just as an extra.

10. Yeah, we certainly wouldn't want Jay Glazer's objectivity to come into question. If Jay's ethics are under the microscope, then who can we trust any more?

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Actually -- and I have absolutely no interest in getting into a Simers debate -- he actually blasted them while he was still employed by them, and that's why they kicked him off ATH.

As for the larger topic, no, there is no objectivity issue here. No big deal.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted