1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Shaggy. Sorry, DOE ... I'm just glad someone else had to be the bad guy. I'm not saying those seasons by Utah and Boise State weren't still magic carpet-type of rides, but we love pulling "what-ifs" in the biz.

What if those teams would have faced what the coaches, media and fans deemed better teams? If they had been overrun, at least we would know.

In basketball, they have that huge moneymaking machine - courtesy of CBS - called the NCAA Tournament. There, David faces Goliath. Sometimes the slingshot and the rock work.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for someone to bring up Ohio State (I refuse to bow to the "the") and it's schedule. We can dispense with the SEC creampuff angle when the Buckeyes play Youngstown, Akron and Kent.

The reason I made the comment about Hawaii was that I look at Boise a little different now than I did before they beat Oklahoma. Were Hawaii to go to the Sugar Bowl and win against Tennessee or LSU, I'd be convinced they're legit.

3. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Re: Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the count

That's fair, and to an extent I do agree, but (and this isn't directed at you FH) there are those making that argument against Hawaii then champion Ohio State for the title game. Ohio State has numerous strikes against it, like a Nov. loss and a bad non-conference schedule.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the count

Where has anyone championed Ohio State for the title game?

Seriously, I'm asking. I must have missed it.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Sorry, I don't mean in this thread. I'm carrying over my personal discussions into this, my mistake :)

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No worries, just got confused.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Maybe not championing, but people feel comfortable with Ohio St. there as opposed to Missouri. That's a fact.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This might be true or might not, but it's kind of a moot point, isn't it?

If Mizzou wins tonight, they're in. If they lose, I guess OSU could get in, but Mizzou really doesn't have anything to bitch about, because they would have lost twice to Oklahoma.

And, if Mizzou wins and West Virgina loses, Mizzou is still in and likely gets a chance to beat OSU head to head.

Clue me in as to where the problem is?

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No problem here ... except in the scenario where Mizzou loses. ;D

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Sounds like opinion to me. :)

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would almost guarantee you that if you had an 8-team playoff that neither Missouri or WVU would win... I don't think either team would be a favorite in a first round game.

No. 8 USC vs. No. 1 Missouri on a neutral site, USC would be favored by a touchdown.
    No. 7 LSU vs. No. 2 West Virginia on a neutral site, LSU would be favored.
    No. 6 Virginia Tech would be an underdog against No. 3 Ohio State.
    No. 4 Georgia would be favored over No. 5 Kansas...

The team that wins that tournament would be undisputed. This year, you could see 2-3 teams that don't play in the title game getting first-place votes...

What a mess... A West Virginia-Missouri title game might be the lowest-rated title game ever...

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You might have to amend this thread title to WV and Ohio State after Oklahoma's done with Mizzou. Regardless, in all three instances, the answer is NO.

I believe the 2 best teams in the country RIGHT NOW are USC and, based on how they played the 2d half of the season--Georgia. If there were an actual 8 Team playoff, those would be my 2 picks to reach the final.

Draft saved Draft deleted