1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Third.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Nobody learned when Utah went unbeaten, including a win in a BCS bowl, in Urban Meyer's last year in SLC.

Nobody learned when Boise State went unbeaten and came back to beat Oklahoma in a BCS bowl in Glendale last year.

At what point will the fat cats who make these idiotic decisions on bowls - can't bother with this playoff idiocy ::) - realize that it's more than just a handful of schools and conferences that belong in the debate?

It sucks that Hawaii - as of this post ... check back if they hold on to beat Washington - has doubters given the trend of the so-called BCS Busters. It's also a big reason why I like getting behind them. They're college football's best chance to flip off the idiots who won't consider a more definitive playoff system.

Maybe Hawaii isn't among the top teams in the country, eh? I acknowledge that. But until someone beats them, how will any of us ever know? That's about the only sad string left untied to Utah's and Boise State's unbeaten seasons. Could they have beaten even better programs, including the known college football factories?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the count

No. But if Hawaii can't beat San Jose State without a massive comeback and then overtime, why the hell would I even consider them beating anyone convincingly in the Sugar Bowl?

PS-- I fully expected Utah to win the Fiesta Bowl and was high on Alex Smith.

PPS-- I've been a big time Boise State fan for years, and have wanted them in the BCS the last 3 or 4 seasons, when they legitimately belonged. I just don't put Hawaii in the same class.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Re: Does anyone think Missouri and West Virginia are the best teams in the count

To answer your question: I do not think so.

Utah beat a middling Pitt. Boise beat Oklahoma without Peterson. I'm not sure how much we can even take away from those victories.

5. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Because the Sugar Bowl and SJSU aren't the same game. Things do change from week to week. Going by this logic, Boise should have buried Hawaii since BSU beat the hell out of SJSU. But that didn't happen.

It's a hypothetical question, even if you don't expect. If that situation hypothetically occurs, why shouldn't undefeated Hawaii get first place votes?

6. Flying Headbutt

Because then by your logic maybe they just had one great game (and finally, btw) and probably played out of their minds. But they're still far from the best team.

Hypothetically I could buy a scratch off ticket on my way to work, win big, and get to retire. But to expect it to happen would be, though definitely more unwise than your scenario, unwise none the less.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Fanboy aside, yes, I do think Missouri is the best team in the country. Everybody (except Hawaii, and with that schedule, they really don't count) has stumbled at least once.

Missouri's stumble is the most impressive, and they can avenge it tonight. They didn't lose to a really shitty team at home (USC), they didn't lose to a mediocre-at-best team on the road (OU, in reference to the Colorado loss). They, for all intents and purposes, dominated undefeated KU.

They didn't lose to a pair of three-plus loss teams (LSU). The fact is, Missouri has been the most consistent team this season. That's why it is No. 1 right now.

8. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

So because you don't <i>expect</i> it to happen, it's beyond discussion? It's a hypothetical question. If the hypothetical posed was "what would you do if you won the lottery tomorrow?" would you not answer because it's unexpected? Nevermind, that's rhetorical.

We still haven't got into why Hawaii wouldn't be worthy of first place votes if it wins the Sugar Bowl convincingly and the NC game is close.

9. Flying Headbutt

Because right now they aren't even a top 10 team, and there are teams ranked higher also playing in those bowls who will have a better body of work to judge, and should they win convincingly that would be a better argument.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Peterson had a 25-yard touchdown run in overtime and an 8-yard touchdown run in the third quarter. So your logic is not only flawed, it's flat-out wrong.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Mea culpa.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The stupid thing is, the same people who are bashing Mizzou (and Kansas) for their scheduling will find it OK if Ohio State ends up in the title game.

Sat, Sep 1 Youngstown State W 38-6 --
    Sat, Sep 8 Akron W 20-2 --
    Sat, Sep 15 at Washington W 33-14 --
    Sat, Sep 22 Northwestern W 58-7 --
    Sat, Sep 29 at Minnesota W 30-7 --
    Sat, Oct 6 at (23) Purdue W 23-7 --
    Sat, Oct 13 Kent State W 48-3 --
    Sat, Oct 20 Michigan State W 24-17 --
    Sat, Oct 27 at (24) Penn State W 37-17 --
    Sat, Nov 3 Wisconsin W 38-17 --
    Sat, Nov 10 Illinois L 21-28 --
    Sat, Nov 17 at (23) Michigan W 14-3 --

Now what have the Buckeyes proven that the Tigers haven't? Oh yeah, that they have been a good team in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted