1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone take Doug Gottlieb seriously?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pantherprowl, Nov 11, 2008.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Hey Twoback, how does those Pitts feety pajamas fit? Look, no one really cares about Pitt.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They only played in seven of the last eight Big East Tournament Finals.

And, no, I am not a Pitt fanboi, but I do know they are tough as nails in the Big East Tournament. The National Tournament, meh.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

He's an Oklahoma State homer.

4. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

(1) Not a Pitt fan

(2) Not a post debating Pitt's performance at any point in its history.

The point of the post is simple: Why the hell is Doug Gottlieb still working for ESPN? The guy does stupid stuff like this all the time.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

As someone who does not follow college basketball all that closely in November, and therefore can feel justified in speaking for the rest of America:

Just when the hell did not ranking Pitt in a preseason poll become a fireable offense?

It's not like they're North Carolina.

Seems a weird beef, is all. Unless you're a Pitt fan, I guess.

6. pantherprowl

pantherprowl Guest

It's not just one thing that Gottlieb has done. This thing is peanuts compared to some other stuff. He has "broken" stories in the past, especially during OK State's job search last year, that have not been true. His problems are part of a greater problem in TV and radio sports journalism, where show hosts who have no reporting skills try to become reporters.

Sure, nobody really cares that much now, but when these are the people who are "reporting" stuff in the future because newspapers and magazines go extinct, everyone will scratch their heads wondering how these guys got started.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

who the hell is Doug Gottlieb?
    Never heard of him before...

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What stuff did he break wasn't true?

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I think he certainly has an "inside-angle" on a lot of sports-happenings and sports-related stuff.
    Just being employed there, and with his dad as a longtime talent-scout and other things, plus his accomplished playing career in H.S. and college - he's got an "in" to some good info.
    A company chose to pay him to wax eloquently on a daily basis.
    More power to him. I think (and I'm not great big DG fan or supporter) that a lot of the bashing we see on the Internet and here, particularly, rises from envy over that person's job and pay rate.
    More power to the jocks who get jobs. Lots of them are good analysts of sports.

10. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

If you're not a Pitt fan then what is Pantherprowl? They are the Pitt Panthers, after all.

11. Just a crazy coincidence.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Excuse me. I confused this with a place where I've occasionally talked sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted