1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone publish sports readers' editorials

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by hoosier122, Sep 3, 2010.

1. hoosier122

hoosier122 New Member

Papers routinely publish news readers' editorials. Have you ever seen it done in sports sections? Everyone is an official or coach at the game, but do they have the balls to openly criticize officials' calls, critique a coach's play calling or complain about a column?

I was just curious if anyone else has done this or seen this done. I think most any reader interaction is good. FYI - It would be for a weekly paper that covers two high schools in a county of 20,000 residents.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If an editorial is just someone complaining about a call, I wouldn't see the benefit. Reader interaction is good, but a newspaper's job is to filter out the garbage, and complaining about a call is useless garbage.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wouldn't run a letter complaining about a coach, either, unless there were unusual circumstances. The complainer is usually a parent of a kid not starting.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sounds like you've made a few of those calls. LMBO.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

BO?

6. hoosier122

hoosier122 New Member

Laughing my butt off

Draft saved Draft deleted