1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone know anything about blueberries and eyesight?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, May 30, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, the reason I ask this is because at 48, I've been using reading glasses for about 4 1/2 years. In the last four months, I've found myself to really like blueberries as a healthy snack.

As of yesterday, I've been able to read again without the reading glasses -- something that just was not possible in the past four years.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I am able to read again without having to reach for the glasses before I even bother trying.

I've heard carrots are good for the eyes (but I don't really eat them regularly at all) but never anything about blueberries, and as far as I can tell, that's really the only thing I can think of that has been significantly different in my diet the last few months.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-blueberries.html

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Come back to us when you figure out what to eat that allows us to run as fast and shoot a basketball as well as we did at 17, Tony. :D

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kevin. That confirms my guess.

BYH, if I find that food, I'm keeping the secret to myself and marketing it. Then I won't have to worry about the impending death of our business. :( Of course, then I'll be so rich that I'll open a home for former journalists.

For now, all I know tonight is it's nice to be here and not have to be wearing reading glasses.

5. BRoth

BRoth Member

Carrots actually do nothing for eyesight. It was a myth created by British fighter pilots during World War II because the German Defense Ministry (or whoever) was trying to intercept information about why the British were good at shooting down German planes. British sent transmissions it was because they ate a lot of carrots. Germans bought it. It's stuck since.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

All I know is I eat a lot of blueberries and I can't see shit. If I didn't have my glasses on (or contacts in), I couldn't see this computer screen that is sitting on my lap.
    It makes watching the Nats less painful but sucks for everything else.

When I get rich, I want to have that surgery that fixes your vision.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Carrots have Vitamin A and beta-carotene, both of which promote eye health and especially night vision.

Now I'm going to eat some blueberries.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Blueberries may prevent you from going blind, but if you keep doing touching yourself, you're still gonna grow hair on your palms.

9. Now if you stopped drinking your politics might not be so hazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted