1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here own a juicer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 13, 2011.

1. dmc

dmc Guest

Mizzougrad, did you get a chance to check out any blender info?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We have about four blenders. One of the things I was thinking about doing was using the new juicer, which should be here tomorrow, for that and then taking some of the pulp and using that in smoothies.

3. dmc

dmc Guest

Great! I will look forward to your thoughts about it.

4. Mizzougrad96

It arrived last night, about a week after it was supposed to. I was pissed because I was excited to use it and we didn't have a ton of fruit and veggies in the house, and we were taking the kids swimming, so it wasn't like I was going to tell the little ones, "Sorry, Daddy's new just came in, so swimming will have to wait." ... We had carrots, peaches, celery, an apple, some lemons and a pear.

I threw it all in...

Pretty good stuff...

5. Mizzougrad96

This morning's concoction... Apples, Kale, Carrots, Celery, Lemons and Peaches...

Good stuff.

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Two suggestions:

1. If you are looking for antioxidants, include blueberries in your concoctions when they are in season.

2. If you have a garden or trees on your property, compost the "detritus" from your juicer - - and any coffee grounds or tea leaves that you generate - - and use it as additions to your garden soil. Composting is very simple and very effective in getting you the next crop of veggies...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My aunt lives in California and has a giant Valencia orange tree in her yard. She plucks 15 oranges off the thing, uses a $15 juicer she got at Wal Mart and makes the best OJ I've ever had. I went home and planted an orange tree in my yard after drinking a glass. Now I play the waiting game....

I don't have a juicer, but I use a Magic Bullet and make delicious fruit smoothies. Something like

1/4 cup orange juice
    ice
    handful of blueberries
    5 chunks of pineapple
    7 strawberries
    couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt for protein.

Delicious.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wife just bought a fancy juicer.

She's excited about the health and "cleansing" potential.

I'm more excited by the prospect of fresh ginger, pineapple, pear, celery, beet juice and more for cocktails.

9. Mizzougrad96

I ended up having better luck with the plain old blender... My concoction has Cucumber, Celery, Ginger, Bottled Lemon Juice and Kale in it. The argument of Blender vs. Juicer seemed to be that in the blender, you don't lose the nutrients...

I like the juicer, but it is a shitload of work. The blender is so much easier...

10. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

The juicers I know have had excellent luck with Hamilton Beach in the 60-70 dollars (or so) price range.

I enjoyed Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, and while I have never needed or desired that level of intensity given my relative fitness, I do believe it the value of juicing. The point of cutting out all the "fiber" and so forth is to focus on micronutrients which can more immediately and effectively be digested. I truly felt that the truck driver's life was saved as a result of his random encounter with the fanatical juicer. Happier, thinner, better self-esteem. Yes, he was quite an extreme case to show, but that doesn't make his results or his happiness any less real.

I am not a big juicer myself because of my general amenability to healthy eating, but I know people that are hardcore juicers, and I am a firm believer in its efficacy. I have sampled their juices and as someone who eats a normal diet, I do think they are quite tasty even on first sampling.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

When i read the title of this thread I thought it was about steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted