1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here own a juicer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 13, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The way we grow things and the food science industry are largely to blame. Read some of Michael Pollan and Marion Nestle's books. I found them really enlightening.

My girlfriend grew up in a rural area in Europe and her dad has land all around the village on which he grows all kinds of things. They raise their own chickens for eggs. I'm not a big egg person, but when I was there, I couldn't believe those eggs. Hard boiled, the yolks were a bright orange, not the yellow you see here.

She absolutely loves food, but REAL food, not the crap you find in supermarkets today -- fruit, veggies, you name it, they grow it and they also have things we don't even get here, including a type of plum that is like honey that grows on trees all around the area that blew me away.

When she came here, she couldn't believe how tasteless our produce is. She still constantly complains about it, especially after she visits home and gets spoiled by how good the produce is. Michael Pollan has documented this. It's more complicated than this, but the food industry has bred things to not spoil, and for cosmetic reasons (we get prettier looking fruit, but less nutritious) and have totally screwed things up when it comes to taste and nutrients. I believe the typical Apple today has a third of the iron an apple grown in the 1950s did, for example. That one stuck with me.

When I stayed at my girlfriend's parents home, I couldn't believe how good the food was. They produce 90 percent of what is on the table themselves. And I finally understood what she was talking about. I've experienced it in other places, too, such as when we were in Rome and hit Campo de Fiore, and there were farmers there from the countryside selling tomatoes unlike anything I had ever eaten.

Aside from how supply chain problems and the variations of vegetables they breed now, the other thing has been how our supermarkets have gone from places where they sell food to shelves of edible-like substances that aren't really food. And in the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc. we really screwed up our diets with products that hooked like opium, but which are nutritionally poisonous.

That is why there is a whole generation saying, "I can't eat vegetables." I don't understand how someone can't enjoy a spinach salad or enjoy a meal spinach with garlic and mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, like we did a few nights ago. It is just good.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm getting the Jack Lalanne one... It's on sale and I have a coupon, so I'm getting a $149 juicer for about $70.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'm not throwing stones here and am seriously curious.

How can you not eat vegetables? I mean, what is it that you can't eat a salad or green beans or bell peppers?

Is it something from childhood? A physical problem?

I have a friend who is like this. He says he "just doesn't like them" and only eats meat (usually fried or a grilled steak) and a baked potato or fries. How the hell do you not like something if you won't even try it?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm no doctor, but I'm saying that 64 ounces of pulverized vegetables every day is going to make a person shit weird.

5. Mizzougrad96

Yes... But that's not always a bad thing.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Sure, if you're a hobbyist.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing that initially, it will be quite cleansing... :D

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sh*tting weird beats the hell out of not sh*tting at all.

9. Smasher_Sloan

There's a lot of ground between those two.

10. Mizzougrad96

True, but there are a lot of people who frequently are at one extreme or the other.

11. dmc

dmc Guest

I do eat some of those things on their own. I will also have a very large salad for a meal. So I do like to eat those things whole.

But picture a plate of the following

1large apple everything except the stem
    1 banana peeled
    1/2 avacado peeled
    2lg carrots
    3 celery stalks with leaves
    2 cups spinach
    1/8 th of a pineapple with core intact peeled
    small sweet potato

I am not likely to eat that whole, but if I throw it in a blender, its my breakfast and I am full. I only do it for one meal a day.

I do use a blender, rather than a juicer. The fiber was one of the deciding factors for me.

Azrael, yes, this is also sold as a way to get kids to eat their veggies. I like veggies, but for me there are so many other good fattening foods to eat so for me it helps me to eat healthy and you really dont taste the veggies, not that I would mind, but especially for kids, it is a great way to eat all those greens. I have used spinach, collard greens, beet greens.

12. dmc

dmc Guest

hahaha, yeah thats a whole other issue that I wont get into here, but its not a negative thing, really.

Draft saved Draft deleted