1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here own a juicer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Some people say that without the fiber the sugar is absorbed quicker into your body and turns to fat.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

The oranges that you buy in the store are also different from the ones that go into OJ production. (I think that's how it is, I could be wrong).

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been meaning to get more involved with them.

Most of my customers are chains, so I don't sell a ton of equipment, but every time I see a new place open with a ton of equipment I realize I need to focus more on sales. And, if I can sell them & fix them, it'll work well.

And since people don't clean anything, I'd imagine they break down pretty regularly from a lack of cleaning.

4. dmc

dmc Guest

I have been doing this for the last 2 months. But I use a blender. Investigate those first before you buy anything. You can see many many videos on youtube showing blenders doing their stuff.
    Great advantages is that........... you get to keep all that important fiber...........clean up is very easy compared to juicers. I have had a vitet amix for years but since I started to do this daily I decided to get something new. I bought an Omni at 3blendrs.com for 250 plus 25 shipping. You can get a great vitamix on sale at costco, etc for about 350. then there is blend tec wich may be a bit more pricey. If you plan to do this regularly, it is well worth the investment of a pro blender. The net is full of demos of all of these.

This morning I had... celery, carrots, sweet potato, pineapple banana strawberries and awsome avacado. I use silk soy milk as my liquid base it adds sweetnes or water will do. I never have had to add sweetner. Google green smoothie. that has some sort of greens in it. (i just didnt have room for it today, one reason i would really recommend one with something bigger than a 50 oz pitcher.
    some regular ingredients I use...red orange or yellow bell peppers, kale, spinach, sw potato, celery, carrots, apples, banana, collard greens , beets, zuchini, cuke, ginger, if you like it adds a great kick. there is no way in heck I would eat all this great stuff in its original form, but in a blender, any combo of the above is amazing. oh, mango, avacado, just got bought a red cabbage that I have not used yet,

I JUST CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE WHOLE BLENDER EXPERIENCE. btw for instance apples go in cut into 4 or 6 pieces whole minus only the stem. Honestly, I have been preaching this ever since I started.

the documentary called fatsickandnearlydead.com got me started. they juice, and i considered it, but decided to go the blender route for the fiber and ease of cleaning. You have to prep the food a bit, but i think its easier than cleaning the juicer all the time. I also have a costco here and buy apples and banana and spinach etc in bulk. I freeze what I can just so it wont go bad.

sorry about the puncuation and all, but I cant help getting on a roll when the subject comes up. So please check out blenders before you decide and I recommend the documentary to anyone trying to imprve their health and diet.

they also say you should have variety in what greens you use, and it does not matter wich ones you use, you wont taste them anyway.

thanks to any one who read my rambling.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've tried the leftover pulp from apples and that's not too bad, but the carrot pulp is dry. Of course.

Didn't bother me but I wouldn't be eating all of it. Possibly could be used in a good carrot cake with sugary icing dribbled over the top.

As for the blender, what's the resulting consistency? Juice? Slushy sludge? Something in-between?

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Fat, sick and nearly dead, while being a decent documentary, is pretty much an infomercial for juicers.

7. dmc

dmc Guest

Yes you could say that, but hopefully people would do their research (especially now with the internet) and decide if they wanted to do it and how. And if it is something that makes a light bulb go off for some, then I dont care what its called.
    I just noticed your little tag line thingy under your name, and I have to say that yeah, so far it has worked for me.

As far as the consistency, thats where the higher priced blender comes in. A regular blender , I have been told, will leave you with lumps. My Omni leaves little tiny bits. like a 16th of an inch of apple peel. very tiny. I dont mind that, a higher priced blender like a vitamix will probably do a better job. In New England we have the Big E fair, they always have a sales person doing a demo there , also costco has been having a demo there. The samples they pass out always seem pretty smooth.

I should probably say that on the Omni site, you have the opportunity to make money everytime you refer someone. But I have not signed up for that, I am just one of those obnoxious folks who has been converted and tries to convert everyone else.

My most important point is that there is tons of video and info on the web and I hope everyone who is considering "juicing" (I still call that even though I use a blender) does all the research and considers all the pros and cons before they decide what will work best for them.

If I had the money, Blend Tec has an awesome set up. One of their most expensive blenders comes with the ability to mount the motor under your counter. How freaking cool is that. Also a great way to cut down on the noise, as these do tend to be loud. Many of these have 3 hp. Montel Williams is another one with a pro blender. I dont remeber what the name is of his machine.

And again, for me the 2 deciding issues were keeping the fiber and clean-up. Actually since I suffer from cheapism, money was the first issue, but the other 2 will be the lasting issues.

Sorry to ramble again and sorry for the lousy writing style, I am not a pro writer. (no kidding, right!)

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you suffer from cheapism (and have monetary concerns), but want to eat healthy, why waste your time with this? Why not just buy fruits and veggies every week when you hit the market and eat them. They are really good without running them through a blender and have worked for people for millions of years. Plus, with a juicer, you do lose some of the fiber people mentioned. I'd also guess, but don't know for sure, that you feel more full when you eat whole veggies and fruit than when you liquify it, but I can't quantify that.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed.

But it was stipulated that this is a family not given to eating their vegetables, so juicing might be a sly way to do so.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I know. I was responding to the post above mine. Not to Mizzou.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Ah. Noted.

But raises an interesting question.

Even millions of years of evolutionary programming can't seem to overcome our aversion to vegetables. Fruit isn't a tough sell to anyone, but the number of ways we've devised to trick ourselves into eating veggies is sort of remarkable. You'd think as omnivores we'd have a built-in appetite for at least one superduper deep blue vegetable.

Instead, a huge part of the population does everything they can to avoid ever touching one.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Other than corn, I can't eat cooked vegetables. I can deal with green peppers if it's on pizza, but that might be where it ends.

When it comes to cold veggies, I can deal with celery, carrots and cucumbers and that's it. I can force myself to eat lettuce.

Tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflour... You might as well serve me a shot of ipecac.

Kale and spinach are the two vegetables that I was told are the best for me to have so I'm doing everything I can to get as much of both into my body. Short of making creamed spinach like they do at the steakhouses where it is as unhealthy as you can make spinach, the most logical way for me to eat it is to drink it...

Draft saved Draft deleted