1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here own a juicer?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Less than eight bucks and it works on just about anything.

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Graintex-RM1546-Rubber-Mallet-Fiberglass/dp/B003N9CQF2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1315952197&sr=8-6

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Juicing is time intensive and extremely expensive and never tastes as good as you think. Buy V8 in bulk and drive on.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Just be a groupie for Gallagher.

Failing that, the juicer does do a nice job of providing fruits and veggies without having to actually clean, chew and swallow something. Eight to 10 carrots and BAM! You have enough vitamins to make a rabbit see Jupiter.

Coring and seeding may not be necessary but I take the time to do it for apples, pears and oranges. We've done whole kiwi fruit and the skin gets deposited in the gunk catcher. Apples, pears, grapes and carrots. Not together, of course. I tried lettuce and onions just for the hell of it and don't recommend either.

Cleanup isn't necessarily terrible but does take a few minutes. I put the pulp-skin-leftovers in our flower beds along with coffee grounds and egg shells.

If you plan to get into it, compare prices at the grocery store, Walmart or Target and the big box places like Sam's Club or Costco. Buying bulk apples or carrots may be cheaper than smaller bags in the grocery stores where the prices are marked up.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

As to what TBF said, the taste is genuine because it doesn't have any added sugars, preservatives or anything else.

Yep, it tastes different. But you saw it being processed.

V8 is best with vodka, Worcestershire, a splash of Tabasco and some garlic-stuffed olives!

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reading this thread makes juicing sound so complex. It's really a lifestyle choice.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Well, I know for sure that when I juice an orange, I get all that bitter membrane taste in it. It also takes about 20 oranges to get the same amount as I get in the Florida's Natural (or, whatever it is) 100% juice container.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend who has one that I could only afford if I stopped making payments into my kids' college funds has me sold on getting a juicer. He's lot a lot of weight recently and he drinks 32 ounces for breakfast, 32 ounces for lunch and then eats a normal dinner... I'm not going to do that, but I really don't like many vegetables and he made me a concoction of Kale, Spinach, Apples and lemons and it tasted great. My kids liked the carrot concoction that we made, so that will probably be the best way to get them vegetables.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The sugar content is ridiculous, if you care about that sort of thing.

http://www.robeks.com/nutritionals.aspx

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Kale and spinach are top antioxidants and must-haves, although kale looks like some mutant weed from the back 40 near the spooky woods.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Carrot,apple, beet, ginger and parsley.

Used to make that concoction five days a week. Loved my juicer (Juiceman Jr.- cost around $50 and lasted forever) but got away from the whole process.

Cleaned the fruit/veg with food-grade H202 and a brush, cut the apple into quarters (removing seeds), quartered the beet and went to town. Good chit, mang.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The only down side to juicers (particularly with veggies like carrots) is that they remove most of the fibre. And the body needs (from what I've read) about 20grams of fibre daily

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So is the sugar content of fresh fruits. A single orange has
    around 23 grams for sugar.

Robeks has plenty of low sugar juices. I like the ABC ( apples / beets/ carrots which has only 19 G's of sugar.

Draft saved Draft deleted