1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone here cover an NHL team?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BigSleeper, Jul 22, 2008.

1. "Winter in Miami, and you're pretty much guaranteed your season will end in April.'' -- Jacques Martins' main selling points to playing for the Panthers.

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Sam,

Glass houses, my friend. Glass houses. Your Hurricanes haven't been to the playoffs in two season and this year will make three.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think their Stanley Cup would make up for that.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Appgrad,

The Whalercanes have been really shaky. The Panthers have been really bad. The trade of Olli Jokinen for a used puck bag and a broken-down Zamboni didn't help Florida's situation.

The only team to get in Carolina's way to recapturing the SouthLeast is Washington, and it's possible that both could make the playoffs, especially given how bad the other three could be. Tampa hasn't done much to give too many people hope, and both Atlanta and Florida are sliding further into the abyss.

Understandably, the Whalercanes have been far from a powerhouse. But Florida, by comparison, is a serious mess.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Tampa is at least taking some chances. Getting rid of Tortella will mean at least 10 points.
    Florida had to get rid of Jokinen. It had been rumored for so long, it needed to be done. Ballard is a good player, better than a used Zamboni.
    Atlanta - well, they have Kovalchuk.

I think Carolina is the second-best team in that division. I just don't think it's that far of a drop down to the other three.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

With Melrose at the helm, I think anything is possible.

Now where is that blue font, damnit!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pun intended?

Draft saved Draft deleted