1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does anyone else just f'n hate live tweeting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Quarters (or halves when applicable) and timeouts. Football each scoring play. You're up to speed, but not beaten over the head with it.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

That's my way of doing it too. late in games I'll tweet a little more often if it's close and a little less ofter if it's a blowout.
    I also throw in some stats at halftime. Nothing too much, just "Podunk East 21-14 over Pudunk Central at half, Joey Smith 119 rushing yds."

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

That makes sense. Or if there's time (usually never, or the inevitable timeout) for analysis prior to a big play (time winding down in final quarter, team down by x, 3rd-and-X, 4th-and-x)

4. Petrie

Petrie Guest

The inevitable timeout often helps here. Then it's "#Podunk 14, #Shelbyville 10 :)47 4th). SHS 3rd & 6 on PHS 18 after timeout." Or something of the sort.

5. I like live tweeting in a sense that I get updates to the sports that I'm following. But, there are times that I get annoyed.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think play-by-play tweeting is just stupid and not necessary.

I think commenting on certain big plays or key plays can be OK - in moderation.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Did not know that. I quit using it when I moved to news. I did trial updates on the web, but I wasn't exactly doing "play-by-play" for them. I probably would have quit live-casting games anyway. Our stats for readership were abysmal.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They could at least quit with the fucking play by play and give some insight into what the hell's going on. You don't get much more than superficial shit from the TV announcers so live tweeting can be very good, if you do it right.

9. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

I don't like doing it, especially when I'm at an unveiling or product debut and I know EVERY outlet is there providing the same coverage. Typically, I default to the "play your position" mentality and leave details for the bigger outlets/brands. I focus on cool bits of minutiae. If people are following ME, I assume they're interested in my experience and perspective, so I'll make sure my tweets reflect that, because no one likes redundant info on their timeline.

Some friends of mine were at a Samsung event a week ago and they all tweeted/Instagram'd the same pictures of the same device within 10 minutes of each other. I wouldn't do that.

The fun part about following writers on the same beat, though, is seeing how differently they hear quotes at press conferences and locker-room feeding frenzies. Since I pick favorites, I use things like that to support my opinion on the hacks.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I'm not on Twitter and have no plans to be. The age demographic Twitter reaches is 22 and under for the majority. For those that are older, it's a typical tool for people in the media business, which could be useful were it not for all the idiots tweeting every play or just trying to out-zing one another. No thanks. I'll just read it somewhere or watch it on TV. Twitter is one medium I doubt I ever embrace. In fact, my Facebook account will soon be shutting down. It's almost become useless with all the idiots posting about their damn kids and halloween costumes or some other mundane, meaningless, boring part of their lives.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

You apparently don't have very interesting Facebook contacts. That's not on the medium; it's on the people you know.

As for your bolded point above regarding Twitter, I think that there's a difference between trying to display a kind of passion, and simply posting uninformed rantings.

http://www.quantcast.com/twitter.com

http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/22/social-media-demographics-stats-2012/

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. Not changing my mind though. Tweet on, friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted