1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does anyone else just f'n hate live tweeting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 22, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I started my paper's twitter feed two years ago now. We don't post play-by-play, just scoring updates throughout games we're covering.

But when Kentucky is playing, our feed is littered with tweets from seven or eight different folks -- from the Courier Journal in Louisville and the Herald Leader in Lexington -- posting the same information in different ways. It is funny, though, when those same folks are at a presser and you get seven or eight versions of the same quote.

2. spankys

spankys Member

Yeah sometimes it's as if beat writers are racing each other with the live event tweets.
    "two foul shots coming for jones" 8:58.23
    "Jones steps to the line for a pair" 8:58.37

Ill give my next miniscule paycheck to the person who creates a twitter-like feed for running event coverage only. I actually like the idea of writers having two feeds, one dedicated solely to mundane game updates.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to CoverItLive? Used that all the time for live games (which no one followed in the pissant area in which I live).

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Gotta pay for it now.

5. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

Sometimes we still use CoverItLive for college basketball/football coverage, but mostly relatively live-tweeting. Cut down on it a lot - only tweet out scoring plays/big plays, observations in between quarters/halftime/innings/stoppages (volleyball, soccer) or at media timeouts.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

No tweeting gameday play-by-play at all here. Undermines our work. People are getting the scores from the radio or watching it on TV or some other media. Seems pointless. In this day and age, being "first" doesn't mean crap 98 percent of the time. Being the best, however, means quite a bit 100 percent of the time.

7. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

And I despise people who link their live tweeting to their Facebook page.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have unfollowed a number of people for excessive tweeting. There is one person in particular who not only tweeted play-by-play of the games he was at -- and I'll say "at" because if you are doing that crap there is no way you are covering the game -- but would also tweet dang near everything that happened on an MLB or college football game he was watching on TV.

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

What I can't stand are tweets like: "OMG, what an awful call" like everybody following that person knows what get they are watching/attending.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I will say that I absolutely love following old friends/colleagues during the pres debates and NFL games of a market I used to work in. In an odd way, it's very bonding as we outsnark each other, even though most of us have moved on to different places.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You don't tweet during games to be first. You do it to share updates on a different platform. Not every game can be seen by everyone on TV/radio, so there's a value for some people in getting updates via Twitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted