1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

does anyone else just f'n hate live tweeting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Oct 22, 2012.

1. spankys

spankys Member

I preface this by saying I love twitter. I love having links to the work of all my favorite writers in one spot each day. I love seeing good analysis and good humor. And I love how it gives fans a way to interact with athletes and celebrities they otherwise would not have.

But I hate live tweeting. If you follow like 5 people who cover a specific team, I really don't want all of them to clog my feed my telling me "big 3 yard run for joe schmo" in 5 different ways. then, seconds later "incomplete pass...3rd and 8 coming." And on and on. A select few focus on analysis, but for the most part, especially on college football days, it's out of control. If you care that much, you'd be watching the game, and if you can't watch, you can follow a gamecast online.

I know I could unfollow or not go on, but as I said, I frikin love twitter for everything else. Does anyone see a value in the live tweet that I'm missing? Or do they annoy you too?

Spankys

everything else.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Not a fan of live PBP updates. Be judicious.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

I agree. Constant updates are brutal. One local guy does it so much you want to unfollow him on Friday nights.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There are plenty of sites that do PBP for college and pro games, probably some high school games, too.

Don't need to read it, don't need to type it.

Always felt that was the domain of broadcasting. Nowdays, so many stations stream their broadcasts that one can follow Podunk High if they live in Timbuktu.

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

there is one school in our are where the student's have started taking my picture and posting it on twitter while I'm covering volleyball. It was pretty odd the first time it happened, but it doesn't bother me now that it's happened several times.
    Anyone else getting odd twitter interactions? I take it as a compliment. And, hey at least they're reading/following.

6. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

I think it's good for score updates (at least for football) and maybe an update at basketball timeouts, but I agree that PBP tweeting can be monotonous. When I've covered high school football and am tweeting updates, I update the score and that's it; too busy keeping stats otherwise.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I know one writer who used to set up a different Twitter account. He had one as his "main" and then one for gamedays. So people who didn't want the non-stop gameday talk didn't have to follow that one. Not sure if he posted gameday stuff (like maybe a notable event) on his main account, though.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm annoyed by live Tweeting as well. If you clog my feed and Tweet too much, I'm going to stop following you. I want to be entertained and enlightened on Twitter. If you can't do both, and you clog my feed, see you later.

There are a lot of prominent national folks who are either annoying or condescending on Twitter, and I just don't follow them as a result.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

You can always just unfollow on game day and pick it back up on Sunday. I try to limit in-game tweets to when there are scores, or more if it's tight late in final minutes ...

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If you think live PBP tweeting a game is bad, how about live PBP tweeting during a candidate forum? This spring the local chamber of commerce co-hosted a forum for various candidates going for various offices. Person from the chamber tweeted throughout the 90-minute event. Egads.

11. Simon

Simon Active Member

Anyone who live tweets should have twitter taken away.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That is annoying, but so is the term "live tweeting." Every tweet is live tweeting unless you type a tweet and schedule it to be posted at a later time.

Draft saved Draft deleted