1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone care about A-Rod's 600th home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I honestly don't remember much of Griffey's 600th either. Maybe there was some hype but it wasn't memorable. ...

And honestly, I'm a 38-year-old sports nut who, as I sit here, cannot tell you Bonds' single-season HR record number nor his career record number. Maybe it's because it's too easy to google and wiki everything, so things don't remain in my (our) memory quite the same as it used to. Or maybe it's because I am 38 and have many more things to worry about and think about. Or maybe it's because the steroid era completely diluted the value of those records.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I hope I'm working copy desk whatever night he hits it.

Now, I am not an A-Roid fan. Not even close. He's a greedy, dirty, cheating punk who suckered people out of millions.

But, all that said, I do recognize the significance of the accomplishment. I'll run a story on the front, maybe a column by Jim Litke ripping him (like Litke did LeBron James) and let readers draw their own conclusions.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

I sure hope he hits it Sunday. After that, he brings his act here to Northeast Ohio and I'd rather it be out of the way by then.

It's a shame he took the easy way out and cheated. Dilutes the accomplishment, not to mention taking him from being regarded as one of the immortals of the game years from now to just another run-of-the-mill snake.

He didn't need to cheat to be great, but he did it, anyway.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A Rod is the ultimate symbol of how false the last decade has been. We learned that both our athletes and our portfolios were artificially juiced.

I have one word for you - derivatives.

5. I also have debilitating headaches.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just re-opening this because yesterday I was talking to Rob Butcher, the Reds PR guy, and I asked him about what sort of coverage Griffey's 600th got.

He said that there was zero national media traveling with the Reds at the time.

Confirms that my earlier post was accurate. I don't think people made less of a big deal about A-Rod's HR because they don't like A-Rod or because of the steroids. I think it was a little bit that A-Rod was the 4th guy in 8 years to do it, but mostly because people don't care so much about round numbers that aren't records.

In the end, A-Rod got more coverage than Griffey and Sosa, I think, just because it was New York and there was so much whining before the fact about how people were not paying enough attention to poor A-Rod.

Draft saved Draft deleted