1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone care about A-Rod's 600th home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 23, 2010.

1. OK - I'll say it! America is not ready to embrace a gay athlete

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's a nice milestone, but I'm not gonna tear up the front page over it. The reason it's not so significant is A-Rod probably has another 200 homers in him.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can recognize the fact that not many have hit 600, but honestly, I couldn't care less about A-Rod doing it. Not because I don't like him. Seems like a good dude aside from, you know, the cheating and all. Just that HR records don't mean jackshit anymore. Just not as impressive as it was in the 90s and prior.

The lack of coverage has nothing to do with ESPN and its fascination with Favre. That's absurd. It's because people don't really give a good fuck. Sure, the people in NYC might. That's it, though.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And if 600 was never in doubt, why did he have to 'roid up?

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No way he has 200 more in him. He's 35 now. Figure he'll average 30 HR per year for the next four years, that's 120 more. And he'll be 39 at that point.

And that's if he stays healthy, which isn't a guarantee.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yankee broadcasters trying their best to drum up some excitement but it seems real hollow.

Hopefully the Yankee beats ask A rod the proper questions as they relate to PEDs when he holds his post 600 presser It would be disappointing if they drink the kool aid.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Short answer: No.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Let's not get crazy here

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

There wasn't a big deal made when Sosa and Griffey passed 600 either. But it was more than Bonds' 500th, when absolutely none of his teammates met him at home plate.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I've heard so much about how we're not paying enough attention to A-Rod 600th, and I actually think we're paying too much attention to the fact that it's not getting enough attention.

I covered Bonds as he marched toward 600, and he was the first guy to do it in 30 years, and still not that many people cared. There were hardly any national writers following the story. ESPN wasn't breaking in. There wasn't much coverage when Sosa did it. Or when Griffey did it. (Do you honestly remember any of their 600th homers? I covered Bonds' 600th, and I don't even remember it.)

I think any of these round-number things nowadays are not that big of a deal. Even the 300-game winners we've seen lately -- and that is still a legit accomplishment -- there isn't that much hoopla surrounding them outside of the local market. I covered Greg Maddux's 300th and it was the most anti-climactic thing ever.

I just think people care about records more than round numbers.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

Sosa I'll give you, but if I remember right, Griffey received a pretty good amount of coverage for it.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

More like "A-Roid's 600th home run," am I rite?

Draft saved Draft deleted