1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone care about A-Rod's 600th home run?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm stunned by the lack of coverage for this feat ... only a handful of players have hit 600 homers, and he's one away after last night. Does his link to steroid use keep media outlets (especially ESPN, which I thought would be all over this) from blowing this out of proportion?

Or is it that the baseball-watching world is sick of hearing about power milestones? Does America have a bad taste in its mouth left by Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, etc?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

ESPN is too busy fawning over shithead Brett Favre to care about an achievement that matters.

A-Rod will be only the 7th guy to hit 600 --- a huge achievement no matter what you think of him. By the end of the season, he'll be within 150 of Bonds' record, at age 34. He'll pass Bonds in 4 more years.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Steroids, plus the fact that it's been done three times in the last decade has diluted the feat.

It took 125 years or so to get three guys with 600 homers. It'll take about 10 for another four guys.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll take a pass on the excitement of the moment.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A-Rod has been so good for so long, it's not like 600 was ever in doubt. Wake me when he closes in on 800.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This accomplishment matters? Please. He's an admitted cheater.

People will barely care when he passes Bonds.

7. poindexter

And nobody will give a shit in four years.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

But why? Is it his personal cheating, or cheating across the board? Or is it the aforementioned idea that this is no longer a huge milestone because it's been done too many times in recent memory.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

It because there is an unnatural hatred for A-Rod. Not unlike the Kobe hatred around here.

I don't care about his personal life and, roids aside, he's still one of the best hitters and best players in history.

10. poindexter

Milestones and records like this are stupid. Completely meaningless across different eras. And the MLB hitting records have been blown to smithereens by the Steroid Boys. If you enjoy this kind of thing, have at it. Most people would rather watch World Cup soccer.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm actually starting to doubt if he'll catch Bonds.

His HR production is down & he's got some injuries that could continue to hurt him.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And my bad on age ... he'll be 35 next week.

I still think he beats bonds by late in 2014

Draft saved Draft deleted