1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Anybody Want My Money?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mglhoops, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Here two quick stories for you about the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

1. My sister moved to a new house about 1/2 mile away in July. Took her over a month to get her subscription to her new address. Numerous phone calls, refunds, promises. Even mentioned something to Diana Block. Finally had to speak with a supervisor who told her the carrier "couldn't find her house". Let's not even talk about the 3-4 other folks on the street who are already getting delivery.

2. I usually buy the paper at the newsstand every day. Decided to start a subscription because they were practically giving it away. Sign up on-line. Paper calls and tells me I have an outstanding balance from like 4 years ago. What?!?! First time I'm hearing this...never got a call, bill, nothing. I have no idea if it's true or not, but this is not how you run a business.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Six months for me and the same thing.

3. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Does this surprise anyone? In a time of cutbacks and layoffs, how many people do you think are staffing customer service departments and cirulatio offices, compared to the number needed? My guess is that ratio is suffering even more than the staff-vs.-need editorial ratio. Just another reason the industry is doomed. But hey, maybe the government will bail everybody out.

Draft saved Draft deleted