1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anybody own a Pit Bull?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cortez, Jan 24, 2008.

1. cortez

cortez Member

Mrs. Cortez is determined to save all the Pit Bulls in the world. Instead, we're considering adopting one from the local SPCA. The dog in question is a female puppy (7 months). She has been raised by the SPCA and has never been owned, per se. She's friendly and affectionate. They say she's probably a mix (lab). We brought our female Husky to meet her and everything was cool. I do wonder if, once the Pit gets older, she'll try to overtake the Husky as the dominant dog in the house. The last thing I want to do is bring home a dog that may turn on the existing dog. What little research I've done says as long as the dog is trained correctly from the start, no problems should be expected. Any Pit owners want to offer any tips?
    Ruff, ruff

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Don't ask him.

A girl I was seeing once had one and if you train it well, the pit bull will be very behaved. If you have small children, I would be hesitant to have one, but ultimately, it's your decision.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My brother-in-law has a female. First time I saw her, I walked into their yard where the dog was tied up, and she rolled over and wanted me to pat her belly.

The previous one, though, knocked over my wife trying to eat my 20-pound dog.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow, that's insane.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You might wanna check your homeowner's insurance before you get one. I know I was asked if I had one when I got my insurance. If something goes bad, there may be liability issues your insurer won't cover.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A childhood friend had one. It still has a piece of my foot.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Get a lab.

9. queenofspades

queenofspades New Member

My cousin had a Pitt who was raised with dog that was half mastiff and half everything else. The two got along great since they were raised together when they were young and rarely fought unless food was involved. But, if you have a female I would be careful, they tend to be the more aggressive type. All in all, Pitts are great dogs to have, I have wanted to get one for a long time, but my apartment complex doesn't allow certain breeds.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll second that one.

When was the last time you read, "Little Johnny mauled by Golden Lab"?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pit bulls hardly wrote the book on canine violence. Two decades ago rottweilers were believed to be the devil on four legs. And in Florida last year a pack of greyhounds, believe it or not, mauled another breed of dog (I forget what).

Still, I wouldn't bother with a pit bull either. The stigma is hard to overcome and, yeah, when municipalities and insurance companies are taking note, it's not worth the fight.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or a Golden Retriever.

Best dog I've ever had is Golden/Rottweiler mix. The size of the Rott, the temperment of a Golden. He's 14 now, and still acts like a puppy.

Draft saved Draft deleted