1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodgers: One beat writer left

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, May 1, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just did a google search for "special to mlb.com" and came up with quite a number of freelance efforts from this season.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

mlb.com absolutely still uses freelancers. it's not an urban myth. they stopped paying interns. big difference.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I know of whom you speak. And I know there were times when he ate TWICE.
    He would show up right when the dining room opened at 5 p.m. or so and eat, then go out to the press box and read the paper or use the phone, then a little while before the game started at about 7 p.m or so, he would go back in for a second meal.
    And I can confirm, he never wrote one word.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

They would call him the "Double Dip."
    Mud -- who, um, was ok with dining -- told a great story about him.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Was this the same guy who made everyone watch him brush his teeth in the men's room?

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He also got re-assigned to agate and dropped his SE with one punch.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The classy Tom Hoffarth, in before lock:

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2009/05/our-daily-dread-29.html

(And I'll cut and paste the relevant passages, in case LANG really does delete this blog entry):

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

So what if local coverage is freelance? At least there is local coverage.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, because there is a question of quality, oversight and continuity. With fewer editors and more freelancers there's an intrinsic loss.
    Everytime they look to trim costs, before they look to staff and travel, guess which budget gets immediate scrutiny?

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I resemble that remark these days. The real question is how many more opportunities will there be for local freelancers like myself.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tom Hoffarth is DEFINITELY one of the great ones at the DN. Always has and always will. Great writing on a tough subject.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As the Singleton Turns:

Heard that the Long Beach paper had its sports freelance budget eliminated recently.

Likely not alone in the group.

Draft saved Draft deleted