1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodgers: One beat writer left

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, May 1, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why'd they do that?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Cubs and White Sox writers also used to switch at the All-Star Break, I don't know if they still have any writers covering those teams do that.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of cool that they got to visit all of the American & National League cities.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Which, of course, is why their papers let them do it! 8)

5. boxand1

boxand1 New Member

Diamond and Tony are great guys and great reporters. I'll second what was said earlier about Tony being incredibly hard-working. And such a nice guy, too. Diamond is great. The Dodgers crew was one of the best traveling groups of press for any MLB team I've been around.

6. cubman

cubman Member

For what teams? I still read Carrie Muskat stories (as little as possible) from Cubs road games, and Alyson Footer is with the Astros in Atlanta.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think he meant they don't physically travel with the teams. They make their own arrangements just like newspaper beat guys.

And MLB.com beat writers travel to some games but not all of them. I know MLB.com uses local freelancers to cover visiting teams for a significant number of games.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

not anymore. They got rid of freelancers this year. [blue]Fucking economy.[/blue]

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not true. I know of one they're using in our city right now and the regional boss told me he's looking for another.

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Early part of this decade the Daily News put out a perennial Top 10 AP sports section. Until just a few years ago they advertised "Best Preps Coverage" on the sports masthead. The paper had a mission as an alternative to the LA Times even though it was never a credible competitor. These days, there's barely more editorial content in the Daily News than in Auto Trader. Local coverage is all freelance. And now no Dodgers writer? How would you sell ads for this paper?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well then they were full of shit again a few months ago. the mlb.commers I know are working stupid hours to make up for the home office's pathetic cheapness.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

There aren't that many ads anymore. It's a race to the bottom, a circle of sorts back to the Valley Green Sheet.
    Dodgers aside: A veteran writer, who worked for the combined Ontario and Pomona products before they became officially combined, used to drive to Dodger Stadium each home game to grab a free meal in the press box and drive back. And not write a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted