1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodgers: One beat writer left

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Screwball, May 1, 2009.

1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The L.A. Daily News laid off Tony Jackson, a few weeks after the Riverside Press-Enterprise laid off Diamond Leung.

That leaves Dylan Hernandez of the Times as the only newspaper beat writer traveling with the Dodgers. (That is, unless the Daily News assigns someone else, which would be a surprise.)

Is this Bud Selig's dream or nightmare?

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Look at the seats at 80% of the games and you tell me.
    Of course there are dozens of factors, but this being one. News and coverage generates interest.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Amazing. In the '70s, there were about eight writers traveling with the Dodgers. Of course, the team was picking up the tab for some them via what was presented as an advertising trade.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Bud Seligs got his own guy covering the Dodgers, right? I'm sure MLB.com's guy travels with the team. I know several others do with other NL west teams.

5. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Dylan Hernandez is the LAT beat guy. Ken Gurnick is the MLB beat guy. Those are the last two traveling writers.
    With all of the LANG conglomeration and the Dodgers/Angels trade agreement with the OCR, somebody said recently that Tony Jackson had to be the safest writer at LANG because he was covering the Dodgers for every paper in the Southland except the LAT.
    But, alas, Singleton can prove ANYBODY wrong.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I feel bad for TJ. Good guy when I worked with him at the DN. I hope he's able to land on his feet somewhere soon.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Jackson and recently laid-off Press-Enterprise reporter Diamond Leung had the best Dodger blogs.
    So much for those papers embracing the Web.

8. missingthepnw

missingthepnw New Member

RayKinsella: MLB.com writers don't travel with the team. It's not 1960 anymore.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Um, wow. Definitely didn't see that one coming. LANG really is in a bad, bad situation.

And that beat used to be full of many people.

LAT
    Daily News
    Orange County Register
    Riverside
    San Bernardino
    Long Beach
    Torrance
    Antelope Valley
    San Gabriel Valley
    Ontario

Sad. Depressing. Angry.

10. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I don't recall Ontario having a Dodger beat writer. I know the Pasadena Star-News did. (I believe the late Matt McHale for one.)

If you want to go back to the 1980s, add the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner. If you want to go back to the 1970s, add the Santa Monica Evening Outlook. I believe Michael Martinez, later of The New York Times, was the Evening Outlook's Dodger beat writer in 1977.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So where is LANG getting coverage? And where is the OC REgister getting stories? AP??

12. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

LANG had staffer Jill Painter cover Thursday's game.

Draft saved Draft deleted