1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodgers: Ghosts of Flatbush -- minus Scully

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Variety columnist points out that HBO's upcoming biopic of the organization does not include Vin Scully nor Tommy Lasorda. W.T.F.? Okay. Lasorda? May not be everyone's cup of tea, but pretty big part of the club for the last 30 years. Want to leave out the more recent stuff? Fine. But, Scully? Can't do this project worth a damn if you don't have Scully, IMHO.

http://www.armyarcherd.com/2007/07/what--no-vin-sc.html

2. Is there a more overrated team in the history of American sports than the Brooklyn Freaking Dodgers?
    Jesus, will everyone who watched these guys as a kid just die now, please?

3. Killick

Fen, you're the man. I know that. And I'm certainly not a Dodgers fan, but... wow. Where's the sentimentality for a clearly much-loved, underdog sorta team?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I never think of the Brooklyn Dodgers as overrated, underrated or rated, period. I grew up reading about them, and maybe I just didn't know any better, but I always loved reading or hearing their stories, and I always think of them as interesting.

6. Good god.
    I've stumbled into Roger Kahn's basement.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Yeah, not a single Hall of Famer among those Bums on that Brooklyn group that went to six World Series in 10 seasons. All they did once they got there was lose to some middling Yankees teams.

That all said . . . . . history and nostalgia have been kinder to them than to those great Yanks groups who had their number. But calling them the most overrated ever is a slight exercise in hyperbole.

8. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I've never seen anything sports that HBO touches that isn't gold. That's just my personal opinion, and I haven't seen everything they've ever done sports related, but they're really damn good at it. I look forward to watching it, wearing my brand new Brooklyn Dodgers cap.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Like two-week-old gefilte fish.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fen, you channelling John McGraw or something?

11. Killick

When's Junction Boys on again?

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've only seen 61* when you're talking HBO sports movies. But I loved it.

Draft saved Draft deleted