1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dodge Charger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 16, 2007.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anyone here own one, or know somebody who does? I'm thinking of getting one (the basic SE model, from 2006), and just wanted some thoughts on it from people who've had one.

I asked the question on a Charger forum and of course all the responses talked about how great it was and how I should get the V8 with a Hemi that's about $30,000 out of my price range. So it was kinda useless.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I got nothing. Except, you're making a wise decision about buying a 2006. Oh, and heavy on the down payment.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/dodge/charger/100793074/roadtests.html

Edmunds really liked the 2006 model. This is a pretty bitchin' site for car research. Just make sure you are differentiating the advertiser content and the Edmunds content.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I've had Chargers as rentals several times.

Upsides:

-- Very roomy, especially the trunk.
    -- V6 has plenty of pep; no need to buy the extra gas for a Hemi unless you're racing.
    -- Good handling car for as big as it is; not great, but good. Rear-wheel drive might be an upside or a downside, depending on how often you drive in snow.

Downsides:

-- Very Spartan interior, feels very "plastic."
    -- Some of the controls are in odd places (I kept tilting the steering wheel when I wanted to use the turn signal.)
    -- Really big, truck-like steering wheel (this is a personal pet peeve of mine; might not bother you)

I've had no problems with Chrysler build quality; we're on our third Dodge minivan since 1996, and all have worked quite well for the first 120,000 miles. If you need a car with a lot of room and are OK with rear-wheel-drive, the Charger is a pretty solid choice.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Rear wheel drive is fine. Right now, I've got a 94 Camaro that I've had since HS. Time for something new.

And I've spent a ton of time on Edmunds researching this. I just want some testimonials from real people who've driven it.

6. I've had it as a rental as well a few times. I agree with everything here. The thing that I would add is that it has about the worst blind spot problem I have ever dealt with. I was impressed with how well it handles and and the spaciousness inside. But the blind spot issue drives me crazy.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Owned a '71 with a 383 Magnum engine. You could watch the gas gauge drop when you got on it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd hang on till they come out with a hybrid engine, Rusty. Or wait till gas goes to $4 a gallon and they'll be giving the things away.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Sounds like my 73 Plymouth with the 360. I'd never seen a gas gauge actually move before.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I've had Chargers and Chrysler 300s (more or less the same car) as rentals and agree with what's been already said. As a Mercedes owner, I could feel there's a little bit of the Benz DNA in them, which is a good thing.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Just a good ole boys, never meaning no harm....beats all you never saw been gettin' in trouble with the law since the day they were born.......

Making their way, the only way they know how, but that's just a little bit more than the law would allow.....

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cletus.

Draft saved Draft deleted