1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DoD: No more radio play-by-play for the troops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by franticscribe, Jul 5, 2006.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Stumbled on this today and thought it was interesting.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2006/nr20060705-13385.html

Basically the Department of Defense says that radio play-by-play of sporting events isn't worth it anymore because the troops prefer to watch it on TV, so American Forces Network is dropping the radio broadcasts. I wonder how well that's going to be received.

The Sept. 9 NASCAR race in Richmond will be the last.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm pretty sure we had a thread on this last week. I could be wrong.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Well then, oops. Sorry if we did. The DoD announcement was from today and I wasn't around much last week. Didn't find it when I searched either. Oh well.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No, you may be right. I know for certain it was mentioned on a thread, just not sure if it was its own thread. No D_B here, carry on.

Oh yeah, this decision sucks.

5. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Fixed

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Clever.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

we had a discussion about it. it was more about the decline of interest in play-by-play. i mean what young person sits in front of his radio and listens to play-by-play anymore? back in the day, armed forces radio was the only way to keep up with sports on the home front. now you're more likely to watch the gamecast or get mlb.tv or whatever.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Plus, the average 7 p.m. CT start translates to 2 a.m. Germany time (and 4 a.m. in Iraq). And most AFN stations were on weak AM signals (unless you happened to be in a high concentration of GIs like Kaiserslautern or Frankfurt which had FM). Who's going to be staying up for that other than people on night duty?

AFN baseball was greatness, though. It was commercial-free by law, so during the network breaks, a guy would come on and run down scores or give details. I listened to Nolan Ryan's sixth and seventh no-hitters on this network, BTW.

Sad to see it go. I disagree that radio's time has gone in PXP. Unlike Internet, where there's a certain lag time, the info is instantaneous. Internet has value in keeping stats, but give me good ol' Nadel and Rojas any day.

Draft saved Draft deleted