1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary on "The U" of Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Man. I'm watching this now and to call it a "documentary" is bullshit. This is a two-hour long sustained blow job. Leni Riefenstahl is embarrassed that this is called a documentary. Documentarties cover warts and all ... this is a highlight film.

In addition to that, it's taking massive liberties with both facts (2 Live Crew weren't in the national pop culture picture until after Jimmie Johnson left, they edited his original segment in with the '86-'87 era) and the importance of certain games (Miami's win over Texas in the Cotton Bowl might be Exhibit A of their cockiness, but as a game, it didn't register on the national picture that year at all) against their comeuppance in others.

And why two hours for this and not some of the more interesting topics 30 for 30 has already had?

Festuring pile of shit. First real miss in this series.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And they never had to face Indiana State to truly prove themselves. Fail.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nice change. Usually NASCAR Jimmie is spelled Jimmy. Glad to see him overpowering football Jimmy in your rote typing. :)

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Dammit. I should have just called him an asshole.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

UM: oil
    Midwesterners: water

6. mb

mb Active Member

Watched it last night and couldn't help thinking ...

LeBatard *really* thinks he's one of the guys doesn't he? Nice T-shirt, assclown.

7. AD

AD Active Member

the filmmakers left out the absolutely only-in-miami stuff that spoke to the end of an era: ray lewis and the death of best friend marlin barnes, george teague snatching the ball away from trash-talking lamar thomas, that beatdown by chuck levy and arizona, all the off-field tragedies that reflected the on-field excesses. a missed opportunity, and odd, too, considering how compelling all that stuff is...

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Shilling, in return for access: the modern formula for "success".

9. Yes and no. From a storytelling standpoint, the rise and fall is what is so compelling. And it's compelling as long as they were winning big. I understand why the late 1990's are compelling, because maybe it can be framed as inevitable. But having read Cane Munity probably three or four times, it definitely slows down in the second half once we leave the Erickson Era. The Pell Grant Scandal is the perfect ending point in the essential Miami narrative from the late 1970's to five national titles between 1983 and 1991.

I understand the journalistic desire for a comprehensive story. But from a purely narrative standpoint, it's tough to make some of the later stuff fit into something like this.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

What a great documentary. Being that I grew up a Sooners fan, I absolutely HATED the Hurricanes during the 80's, but to fellas in the hood I came up with, the Canes were embraced much like the Georgetown teams of that era.

But at the end of the day, the Canes took a lot of unfair punishment, being accused of being thugs, when many teams in college football at the time had players who were into just as much shyt as the Canes players, if not worse.

I was at OU for the aftermath of QB Charles Thompson being charged with cocaine distribution, two players charged with raping a woman in the athletic dorm and one teammate shooting another teammate in the chest. The difference between the Canes teams and others was that they were brash about it. Shoot....I recall one of Tom Osborne's players letting off an uzi in some drug store, yet it took the egregious actions of Lawrence Phillips to put the spotlight on the problems of the Nebraska program.

I played against that Texas team who got their asses kicked by the Hurricanes in the Cotton Bowl. I can tell you personally, although we were on probation, my teammates at OU were saying "Better them than us" after watching that beatdown.

11. Randal "Thrill" Hill is now a U.S. Homeland Security Agent. I guess the feds thought he could be pretty handy with a weapon after the tunnel-running stunt in the '91 Cotton Bowl.:)

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The worst part of this documentary is the Lamar Thomas and Randall Hill assclown types talking all this shit, like they are proud of the fact that they acted like such assholes and thugs back then -- and the segment with Luther Campbell was priceless.

What was hilarious is - that bowl game against Texas -- 46-3 -- where they acted like such douchebags and whatnot -- Dennis Erickson is on there acting like "well I didn't like that and didn't encourage that...."

Of course, they should have shown footage of his Oregon State team in the Fiesta Bowl a few years later when they bumfucked Notre Dame and acted the same exact way, like a bunch of thugs and morons.

Luckily Arizona State is mediocre so we won't be subjected to that nonsense again.

Draft saved Draft deleted