1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary on "The U" of Miami Hurricanes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Dec 12, 2009.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Thanks to the WWL for reminding us just what a bunch of punk-ass thugs the Hurricanes were...

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought that was the funniest part of the entire show.

I was at the Cotton Bowl that day and I have not seen a beatdown that thorough since. They absolutely humiliated Texas. People also forget that it was the Longhorns who ran their mouths that week, not Miami. But on game day the Hurricanes did their talking on the field.

The Bosworth wake-up call and Luther Campbell talking about all the stuff he didn't do (wink wink) were also hilarious.

It's easy to call those Miami teams thugs and punks but that team was one of the signature programs in college football history for better or worse.

You can make the argument that if not for Miami we would not have the celebration and taunting penalties on the books in college football.

Regarding Kosar, didn't he suffer a stroke in the last year or so?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, they also ignored Lou Saban's contributions, which included signing Kelly out of western Pennsylvania and leaving a halfway decent foundation for Schnellenberger.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The only time I have taken pleasure in Alabama winning anything was when George Teague, et al, put their boot in Miami's ass in the Sugar Bowl.

Then again, when it came to Catholics vs. Convicts, I'm pretty sure I rooted for Convicts even though I am a Catholic. Actually, I rooted for a tie that would knock one or both out of the national championship hunt.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Were?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think a case could be made that the era of "The U" ran from the 84 Orange Bowl to the 93 Sugar Bowl.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Kosar is showing the effects of all those sacks and concussions

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

It was entertaining. Slanted, obviously, but entertaining.

DLB did his schtick. Dressed the part. Tweaked the crackers.

The white dudes on board -- Mario Cristobal comes to mind -- offered some insight and perspective.

Irvin's still an idiot.

Howard Schnellenberger wanted to take a lot of credit and Jimmy Johnson wanted to take even more credit and Dennis Erickson, well, he was there and he almost seemed embarrassed by some of the things happening.

And Brett Perriman, whom I knew a little from his time with the Saints, isn't just an idiot. He's a fucking moron. "Dayum, the ref gave us 15. RACISM!!""

9. I've talked to a lot of the '80s guys for my own project, and I've enjoyed pretty much every second of it. For all the talk about how they were all thugs, etc., etc., they had high graduation rates under Johnson, and a lot of those guys have been extremely successful after football.

They brought fun to college football, which it sorely needed. I think a lot of the animosity had to do with the fact that they weren't genuflecting at the altar of Texas or Oklahoma or Ohio State.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A selective-memory whitewash of epic proportions.

DLB fit right in.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can understand people around the program at the time defending some of what went on ... the harmless celebratory antics, etc. But DLB has always felt like he had to defend the worst of what went.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That sums it up. I could see a 1 hour documentary not touching upon the more criminal elements of "The U" but for a 2 hour version to have barely no mention is stunning. No mention of all the U players killed or arrested. Not one mention of Ray Lewis who might end up being the best player from the U. Just one look at the Drew Rosenhaus client list tells the story.

No surprise that ESPN would allow it.

Draft saved Draft deleted