1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary about John Cazale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This might be old news to some, but "I Knew It Was You," a documentary about John Cazale, debuts next week at the Brooklyn Academy of Music's annual festival. Since HBO helped finance the project, it will be shown on HBO later this year as well.

I'm pretty fired up about this. Cazale might be the most underrated actor of all-time. He was in five feature-length films --- Godfather I & II, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter --- and all five were nominated for Best Picture Oscars. And he was engaged to Meryl Streep. And then he died.

http://nymag.com/movies/features/58060/

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Let's not get carried away.

His characters all had a thick thread of similarity.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I definitely want to see this. I don't know about "most underrated," but he was definitely great in great films, and one wonders what he would have done. Hell of a resume.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

perhaps so. yet his his batting average can't be denied. nor can the fact the his story is one of mystery and unexplored intrigue, heightened by his relationship with streep. this is one documentary i'm very, very eager to see. 8) 8) 8)

5. Simon_Cowbell

Me, too.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Death = Often an interesting career move in the entertainment business.

Beyond the on-screen performances, it's clear from the way others speak of him that he was greatly influential.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Got to think that he would have found a home in one or several Scorsese films. Frankly, it's kind of suprising he didn't have one mixed in among his five.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, how is it that Meryl Streep and Scorsese haven't collaborated on a film after all these years?

9. Simon_Cowbell

That's easy to answer....

When has a Scorsese film ever had a woman as more than a supporting player?

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

If I recall this correctly, JC couldn't be insured for The Deer Hunter ... the cancer was already spreading quickly ... what says a lot about JC as an actor is that the producers and others proceeded in filming without insurance on one of the principals. Days or even weeks of shooting could have gone out the window, but they took the risk that he'd live through production.

He was great ... What is said here about range, well, he was a great character actor. I don't know about Shakespeare in the Park or anything like that, but he had four great (and arguably five) roles as a character actor when most character actors are lucky to have more than a couple. He was lucky to come along in what was a truly golden era of American film.

o-<

o-<

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The story goes that Streep and director Michael Cimino told the studio they would walk away if Cazale wasn't kept on.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Given Cimino's track record, I believe it ...

Draft saved Draft deleted