1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Document of Commitment?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Has anyone ever heard of this?
    I have a assistant football coach telling several area athletes are going to sign "Document of Commitments" to D-I school and we need to be there.
    In a nutshell, the players are going walk on, but they are receiving academic scholarships. No athletic money whatsoever.
    The coach is telling me these "Documents" are new to the NCAA.
    I googled and found nothing.
    Has anyone ever heard of this? Can you provide some info?

Thanks

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

uh, did you call the NCAA flak? just a suggestion

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

OK, so maybe I do give a damn ...

As a walkon, Morrone didn't sign a national letter of intent, but he did sign a document that has been created by Coach Rodriguez and his staff especially for walkons. It's a "Document of Commitment" that invites the recipient to be a part of the Mountaineer football family.

"Coach Rodriguez sent a letter along with it, Morrone explained. "He told me about WVU's walkon program, and about how he was a part of it, so I know I'll get a fair chance to show what I can do."

4. I have heard of a document along the lines of this. However, the college I cover calls it an institutional letter of intent. In a nutshell, the kid gets fucked over.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do not cover these bogus signings. If a kid is walking on, then give him a sentence or two (at most).

6. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

this sounds like something a coach made up to make the recruits he convinced to walk on at School A (instead of a scholarshiip/NLOI at school b) feel special. It's not a NCAA deal

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's now a "recruited" walk-on, which I think does entitle him to several benefits above and beyond the Joe Schmoe who shows up uninvited.

If the team has a 105-man roster cap, for example, he can be there when camp starts instead of being allowed to join the team only when classes begin. At least that's how it works at the local U here. I think there are several training-table benefits, as well.

8. wow, so you get to be a tackling dummy a few weeks earlier, but you also get to be among the first when it comes to getting ice and treatment. These things are bogus and I'm telling you, it has been my experience that the kid gets fucked in the end.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This sounds like what a lot of schools do with kickers and punters as freshmen.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, the WVU thing sounds contrived and made-up. It might keep a borderline prospect who might develop into a I-A player at WVU instead of playing at a I-AA or DII school.

But as a walk-on, you're under no obligation to be there. It's your choice. You can leave at any time, with no financial ramifications. If you're a walk-on and you feel you're getting screwed, then take some responsibility for your own life and leave.

11. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Actually, if there's a document, it's likely to express a commitment on the school's part rather than the player's part.

This could even be an outgrowth of honest Bob Petrino at Louisville, who actually was sued by a former walk-on after promising a scholarship and then yanking it when the time came to make good.

Recruited walk-ons are common. As are gray-shirts. As are delayed admissions. They're worth mention. As for being there in person, there are only a handful of recruits -- if that many -- in any given year that merit being at a stupid signing news conference. That stuff has gotten out of hand.

12. For some reason I can't remember what it's called, but I know at least in basketball there is a kind of financial aid agreement a player can sign if they join late, after the letter of intent time.

Draft saved Draft deleted