1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Without Borders closes Afghan hospital, says U.S. may have committed war crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Washington Post has a pretty detailed story this morning about the incident.

It wasn't actually a bombing but a gunship that is used at night and doesn't use coordinates, instead they rely on radio reports and work with special forces on the ground as the operations are always at night.

The planes are big and fly relatively low at 7,000 feet. and they have these guns mounted on the left side. The plane basically flies around in a circle around the target as the guns rain down fire.

It was a huge fuckup but that's why the coordinates thing doesn't matter.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

History will always wonder what the Obama presidency would have been like if he had used his victory to wield a hammer in the Oval Office rather than try to be a uniter with a Republican party that took congressional hostilities to a new level.

If Clinton wins next year, expect her to bang that hammer from Day 1.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, that's interesting, and it does help answer some questions (ie. why we disregarded the provided coordinates, how it could be an "hour long attack", etc).

But, as one fairly ignorant of military hardware, I'm curious: if it was actually from flying"guns", instead of a bombing, what exactly were these guns firing? Must've been some mighty powerful shit to penetrate the walls of a hospital and do the damage it did.

And, at risk of getting YF unduly aroused, I'm also a bit curious why it took three days and varying stories along the way before we got to the root of what actually happened.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Whatever else you think of the old hag, she won't spend 10 seconds trying to play kissy-face with a mob which has been trying to hang her for 25 years.

Stoney likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While they might not be punching coordinates in to launch rockets, are we suggesting they didn't know the coordinates of the location they were firing upon?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Exactly. It would be fun to watch, and forced compromise is better than standoffs and inaction.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is totally true!

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Obama tried to be a uniter. Good one.

old_tony, SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's a bit of misinformation here. After I change the dryer vent and proof some work I did today, I'll be back to explain a thing or two that will, maybe, make the argument go a bit smoother.

10. Songbird

I want proof: post a pic of the dryer lint.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Was his party the one that met on the night of his inauguration to figure out how to sabotage his term? And was it a Democrat who said that his party's sole goal was to make him a one-term president?

12. Songbird

If it isn't oop and level playing field it's Baron with a neer-neer which-party? post.

You KNOW conservatives here are going to post something or other about your side, just let it slide.

God forbid a Democrat ever just laugh something off. The liberal inferiority complex here is amazing.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.