1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Without Borders closes Afghan hospital, says U.S. may have committed war crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

fair enough

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

All of this. And also, what Stoney said. Quite the fuck-up, and someone will be in deep shit.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wonder how President Trump would deal with it.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He'd say it's their own fault for living in a war zone.

5. Riptide

Are you implying that or inferring it?

6. Riptide

I think I stumped him there.

7. Baron Scicluna

8. Riptide

9. Baron Scicluna

Now it can be implied that you're really reaching.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The US military's story is already changing.

They initially said that the airstrikes were in defense of US troops in the area.

In a briefing this morning, the Pentagon now admits that was untrue, and says the airstrikes were called in by Afghan forces, who said they were under fire.

Sounds to me like our Afghan allies lied to us. We struck a hospital as a result, and then lied about it.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The whole story makes me pretty sick to my stomach. And if there were suspected Taliban fighters in that hospital, there should have been boots on the ground to take them out and (hopefully) minimize casualties. You don't just blow up a hospital because some of the people being treated there are the enemy. That's not how we are supposed to operate.

And if our Afghan allies lied to us, we should hang them out to dry instead of covering their asses.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Beyond it not being "how we operate", it's flat out illegal (ie. a war crime) to do so. This wasn't a hospital controlled by our enemies or the Afghani govt. Instead it was one run by a neutral humanitarian organization, which means its supposed to be off limits and untouchable to war combatants. They provide their coordinates to us, and then we're supposed to make sure we don't bomb those coordinates.

There's really no conceivable excuse here. Even if it was shown the Taliban had taken the building and was using patients as human shields, you still don't bomb the Doctors Without Borders hospital. Find another way.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    HC and bigpern23 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.