1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctors Give Apple CEO Steve Jobs Six Weeks to Live

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is the third time in two years there's been a "Steve Jobs dying soon!" story out there.

Hopefully this report is just as accurate at the previous ones and he won't be filling an iCoffin soon.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I echo this sentiment, but if he only gets 55 years, he sure spent them well.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I saw this in the National Enquirer (or Globe or whatever) at the store tonight, so its got to be true!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Obviously wish the guy well, but two thoughts come to mind:
    1) Pancreatic cancer? There's no app for that.
    2) An Apple a day apparently won't keep the doctor away.

Somebody's gotta carry the tasteless joke banner around here.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not really. Sometimes you have to have enough sense to not be tasteless.

Pancreatic cancer is ugly plus out of all the uglies.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Too small of an indeces for at least one of the major drug companies. They need to get somewhat of a return on investment for the billions spent in research.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Enquirer has a good chance of being right on this one, but there is hardly any revelation here. Jobs announced an indefinite leave of absence Jan. 17, and at that time it was widely assumed he would never be back with the company. There was a bit of a drop in the stock price, but mostly there was a lot of coverage of how they were pretty well set up for the next 3-5 years precisely because they had been dealing with all of this.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's amazing he's made it seven years with the disease.

Usually you hear someone has pancreatic cancer and they die within a year or slightly longer.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My brother-in-law's sister got it. Saw her in May at a family gathering, she was talking about a trip to Europe. Looked great, was doing great. Fast forward to July, she could only make a very brief appearance at my niece's wedding.

Six weeks later, she was gone.

Fast moving and awful. Maybe the ugliest of the uglies. So, yeah, to Hank's point - seven years? Dang.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I lost a very dear friend to pancreatic cancer. It is a horrible condition.

For anyone who has had to watch a friend of family member deal with it, there should be no temptation to make light of it.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think that was the point of his earlier leave, no? He did get some pretty radical treatment, including a kidney transplant.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Shocking?

He's been ailing for years. Seems like there's always new news and rumors about his health.

Sad?

Yeah, probably. Some hold up his company as one of the more cynical (evil?) and least consumer-friendly, with its planned obsolescence and cultish nature among its devotees. Other adore everything they put out. But that has nothing to do with his mortality.

With how often there have been negative reports and speculation about his health, it's sort of amazing he's still around.

Draft saved Draft deleted