1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctoring a photo...what should happen?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by AndTheCrowdGoesBoo, Sep 5, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I'll echo what seems to be the general consensus - that's a pretty blatant disregard for the ethics of the business. As pete said, imagine the fall out if a writer was found altering material. All hell would break loose.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the firing, I am presuming that this is a smaller paper and it's possible the newspapers policy may not have been spelled out to the lad.

FWIW, in the past, it was extremely common to "retouch" or "lighten" or "use white-out on" prints of photographs that were going into the paper.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fired. Not even a question.

It happened at my shop a few years ago. Guy was a shooter in this community for more than 30 years, friends with the editor since high school. Fired him on the spot.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yes, photogs adjust the curves, brightness and sharpness. They may even use the color balance or dodge tools. But they aren't cutting and pasting portions of the lawn, cloning floating thumbs and blackening the sky, like the photog in question allegedly did.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd just make sure that the rules were discussed with Salvidor Dali there before wielding the machete.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Here's what I don't get: Why would you randomly insert a thumb into another part of the photo?

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I guess their work is only worthy of one thumb up from Ebert.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe he's trying to hide an entire body in his portfolio.

9. My guess is that this photog used the cloning tool to do the blackening, and happened to catch the guy's hand ... so a tip of an extra finger is floating in air.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So he was sloppy and careless?

Apparently, he never heard of the undo or history tools.

Fired. On the spot. For not even knowing that.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You and I have been around long enough to remember prints.
    You're right. But, if you stay with that idea, and remember what was done in the darkroom, and apply it to digital photography. I don't think there is a problem. If we shade up or down a background, that's not a huge deal. I see wire photographs all the time, with sharpening and edging and darkening and lightening.
    (Of course I'm excluding the days of "touch up" used all over photos. That WhiteOut looking stuff they used to make mugs and alter backgrounds.)

12. captzulu

captzulu Member

Fired, on the spot. Even if the newspaper's photo policy isn't spelled out, it's common photojournalistic ethic that you don't tinker with a photo to the degree this guy did. This isn't a case of tuning the background a bit too bright/dark, where there might be some gray area for debate or confusion about the policy. It's copying one part of the photo onto another. A blatant case of doctoring.

Did the photo make it into the paper? From the sound of things, the doctoring was pretty bad and obvious. Did somebody notice the thumb in the air before it printed?

Draft saved Draft deleted