1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctor Who: Series 8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Well, episode two was a bit of a letdown. Not bad, but not much energy either. I do like that the Doctor is kind of a prick to Clara often, though.

"Well, how do I look?"
    "Short and a little roundish, but with a good personality. That's the important part."

Not sure what to think about Danny Pink yet, and vexed by another strange appearance by Missy. The girl died... and pops up before Missy to have tea? Makes me think Missy is involved in the TARDIS. Maybe some kind of effort to archive lives touched by the Doctor? Would also make the "my boyfriend" comment more explainable...

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to proces that a new character's name is Pink without hearing Steve Buscemi asking why he's Mr. Pink ...

Anyway, yeah, kinda obvious that each episode will have someone die in connection with the Doctor, only to be taken to "Heaven." Hopefullly this doesn't really happen every week. I don't need to be beaten over the head with it unless we get a bit more than a random scene every week.

It ususally takes me a few episodes to warm up to a new Doctor. Nine is my favorite, so it took some time to get used to Ten. I hated Eleven until after the mid-point of his first season. But I already enjoy Twelve. Last night gave me a firm idea of what he's like, which like you said, he's a prick. Reminds me of House (and wouldn't Hugh Laurie have made a kick-ass Doctor had he not done "House"?).

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Nine is your favorite? That's not one you hear often. Eccleston was solid, but Tennant and Smith were much better.

I liked that episode. I think they're doing a good job developing the new Doctor and (finally) developing Clara as a character, and not just a cipher. as well.

Also, for the Anglophiles in the group, we got some good guest appearances. Michael Smiley, from Luther, was in there along with Zawe Ashton (Vod) from Fresh Meat as the main soldier.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Good episode. Really showcased 12. Reminded me a little of the first Dalek episode with 9. Which reminds me....which Dalek told 11 he was the most beautiful thing in the universe because of his hate? Was it the one Oswin/Clara was "inside"? Is it possible the one from this most recent episode gets sent to the asylum and that's whey Clara's in there?

The girl in Clara's school that's been in the background a couple times just coincidentally looks like Mells, River's second regeneration, right?

5. Bradley Guire

I get that a lot.

6. Killick

Anyone else annoyed they didn't... you know... DISCUSS the thing that was under the sheet in "Listen"?

"Oh well, we went back to the Doctor's childhood, and Clara has a date. What was under the blanket and menacing them? Oh, fuck it. We'll just forget about it."

7. Bradley Guire

Since the point of the episode was to not have a monster I assumed it was a kid playing a prank. It was a character study episode so I was okay without dwelling on it. Besides, if it does lead to anything we won't find out for months or years. Moffat plays the long game, and we're only four episodes into the soft reboot of the show and the start of a long story arch. I love serialized shows like this, "Smallville," "Supernatural," etc. I'm not much for shows that feature self-contained episodes.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It was a kid playing a prank.

9. Killick

Slow down and look at "it" when it pulls the blanket off (when the Doctor, Clara and Danny have their backs turned). Definitely NOT a kid.

But, you're right. If we do find anything out, it won't be soon. Sigh.

10. Bradley Guire

I was really underwhelmed by the heist episode.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Me too.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The latest episode was one of my favorites in a long time. Clara has become a much better/stronger character this season and Capaldi is playing the Doctor so well.

Draft saved Draft deleted