1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DocTalk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DocTalk, Jan 27, 2007.

1. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

DocTalk

I spent an hour, yesterday, at a lecture whose goal was to throw as many statistics and graphs at me in less than 60 minutes as possible. Perhaps I learned something, but it left me more frustrated than educated. Any profession, from journalism to accounting to even medicine requires continuing education. I wish it weren't so hard to learn as I get older.

More on the website this morning. www.MDdirect.org/blog/index.php

Thanks for reading.

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Re: DocTalk at your service

Head injury week. Sammy Sosa survives a beaning and the NFL come out with mandatory baseline neuropsych testing for players. The web entry talks about minor head injury and when CT scans are appropriate.

I have a fond place in my heart for Mr. Sosa. When I worked the Pan Am Games in the Dominican Republic, every cab ride detoured by his home and the drivers would announce with pride that Sammy lived there. It reminded me that sometimes sports does make people happy.

Thanks for reading and for the feedback.

Ben

3. Re: DocTalk at your service

Hey Doc...

Curious about your thoughts on this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070510/ap_on_he_me/thin_fat_people_7

4. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070510/ap_on_he_me/thin_fat_people_7

I am glad that this research confirm common sense. In a nutshell, if you lose weight and do not increase exercise, you may still be at risk for heart disease and stroke. The doctors were reminded that while people may be successful in losing weight, they may still be unhealthy.

It reminds me that weight is just a number. When the New Orleans Saints held their training camp in La Crosse, one of the early camp assessments was the two mile run. The backs and ends were averaging 6:30 miles, but more impressive were the linemen. Carrying 300 pounds or more, they were still running sub 7 minute miles. They may have been big and may have a gut, but they were in shape. Losing weight by diet only and neglecting the exercise component of fitness, yields an out of shape thin person.

As usual, there is a balance in the body. The calories you eat have to equal the calories you expend, otherwise you gain weight. Burn more than you eat by appropriate exercise and you lose excess fat, increase the efficiency of your body and hypertrophy your muscles. Good stuff.

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I've been on my recurrent crusade about drunk driving. I have little objectivity when it comes to this crime, but I also need to retain some perspective. That was provided to me by Tatum and Derek Fisher. In a world where celebrities continue to disappoint, Mr. Fisher showed the dignity and grace that we expect from those in the limelight. I'm sorry that his daughter's illness thrust him into such a situation.

http://www.mddirect.org/blog/index.php?/archives/19-Athlete-as-model.html

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Since appendicitis affects 7% of the population, males more than females by 3:2 and peaks in the late teens and twenties, it's surprising that more pro athletes aren't affected during the season. Bad news for Ron Halladay and the Blue Jays, but what's 6 weeks among friends. I wish him a speedy recovery.

The web entry this evening talks about the appendix.

www.MDdirect.org

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm just sayin ... DocTalk is a big help and cooler than a polar bear's toenails.

8. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I have a groupie?

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

We should not be surprised that Steve Nash wanted back on the court after his nose exploded. Noses are a too common hockey injury in his homeland in the great white north. Nose trauma is pretty common in the backyard, on the job or in a bar brawl, so that's the topic on the web for this weekend. Not the most exciting of injuries or illness, but the pictures can be pretty graphic. A little blood goes a long way.

Thanks for reading,

Ben

www.MDdirect.org

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I still have my childhood view of sport, so it's hard to read the headlines today of the Landis hearing, the IOC fining Austria for systemic doping in Turin and the admission of German cyclists about their use of EPO in the mid 90s. Since erythropoetin is a wonder drug for so many people, it's the subject of the latest web note.

Thanks for reading.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Each week, the world of sports is filled with a variety of educational opportunities when it comes to injuries and illness. Sometimes it's hard to decide, but I try to remember that simple is best. The latest web entry talking about orthopedic definitions is inspired by Yadier Molina and his broken wrist.

www.MDdirect.org

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I thought that I would be able to write while on the Blue Planet Run tour of the route and the work make finding time and internet access difficult. Look forward to updating the website when I get back in mid June. Still answering all email requests

Draft saved Draft deleted