1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DocTalk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DocTalk, Jan 27, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Re: DocTalk at your service

I'm no Doc either, but I'd buy stock in Airborne if they sold it. Cures me every time, as long as I catch it when it's still just a tickle in the throat. Mega doses of zinc and Vit C also work.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I second this, and taking the Emergen-C stuff as well. Bought a box for my frat-boy brother for Christmas and it helped him navigate a long New Year's weekend without too much damage. Outside of his liver, anyway.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

How to beat a cold?

My textbook says lots of fluids, rest and chicken soup :)

Airborne is a combination of zinc and Vitamin C, so all of you seem to be o nthe same page. For awhile, ainc had been touted as a potential cure if taken early in the course of a cold, but recent studies question it's effectiveness. Since Airborne lists itself as a food additive and not a medication, the FDA requires no testing by the company to show worthiness in treating an illness.

My take on antibiotic prescription for my patients, is the following: if they are smokers, are wheezing, have a cough that produces colored sputum, then I'll treat them for acute bronchitis with doxyxycline (a twice a day tetracycline). Otherwise, it's supportive care. The cough can last a couple weeks from viral infections and symptomatic relief with over the counter medications doesn't particurly work. One prescription drug that may is Tessalon Perles.

Unfortunately, many of you work in close quarters, and it one colleague gets ill, then most of you will. Buck up though. Spring is almost here!

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We have a kid in our state basketball tournament that had an appendectomy Sunday night, how effective would he be Friday afternoon to play, if he even could?

5. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The quick answer is...depends.

If the operation was done for appendicitis with no complication, that is there was no perforation or inflammation of the peritoneum (the sac that holds the bowels together in the belly) and if it was done with the laparoscope, then it is likely he left the hospital within 24 hours and then the limiting factors will have to do with the abdominal wall muscle issues of healing.

If, though, the appendix was perforated (you've heard of the "burst" appendix; great term, but a little hyperbolic) or if the operation was open, that is they made a big cut into the abdominal wall, then return to play within a week is unlikely.

While playing state is a big deal, other considerations would include the value of the player to the team and the risk that the parents want to take for their son to play.

Hope this nonanswer is helpful.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Deep breath...talking about chest wall injuries on the website this week. Not that glamorous of an injury, but enough to put even the toughest athlete on the bench for a prolonged period of time.

www.mddirect.org/blog/index.php

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

How important is it to know your source's qualifications?

This week, I was fortunate to receive a service award by the American Academy of Emergency Medicine in appreciation of my commitment to medical education. That and a buck still buys me a cup of coffee, but it's nice to be recognized by ones' peers.

Montreal Cabadiens' Alex Kovalev was sidelined this week with vertigo. The latest entry on the website talks spinning rooms.

www.MDdirect.org

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

Doc:
    Copying my post from here:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/38924/

Long story short :

Ten years ago, I ruptured two discs (L4 and L5). Tried most everything...drugs, chiropractic treatments, alternative methods (excluding acupuncture). No surgery. It got better during the years since, but at least twice in each year since, I've had flare-ups where I could still function and deal with the pain.

This time, however, is not so good. Shoveled during the ice storm on Friday and the pain was awful Saturday evening. Probably the worst I'd ever encountered. Treated with heat and ibuprofen. The pain downgraded a bit yesterday where I could function (drive a car, walk arena steps). I also have a small cold, and last night while lying in bed, I sneezed hard and could tell I did more damage.

Suffice to say, this entire day has been close to a nightmare. Crawled out of bed and have been doing my best to just stand. When I do, my walk is limited to very small steps. I managed to shower today, if only for the heat of the water. Again, heat treatments and ibuprofen, as I have nothing stronger...

Any advice on how to get rid of this? I have no health insurance to speak of, so as of right now, my doctor is a last resort. Anyone ever try acupuncture? Is this a mind-over-matter thing, as I have heard before but put little credence in? Thanks in advance for any advice.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Low back pain is tough because it can be debilitating. That said, studies say that the best treatment, after 24 hours of rest, is activity as tolerated. It gets the muscles and ligaments moving andstarts the rehab process. Remember that is as tolerated. Other stuff: alternating heat and ice, ibuprofen as an anti-inflamatory and then potentially a short course of muscle relaxants or pain meds.

After that, its rehabilitation, which really means strengthening the core muscles of the trunk, both the back and abdominal wall, and working on flexibility. During the acute phase of recovery, the going may be slow.

If you have known disc disease, then a couple of other potential worries include having the pain travel into your buttock or down your leg, which signals irritation of the sciatic nerve, or losing function of your bowel or bladder. These last two are warning signs of cauda equina syndrome and need to be seen emergently by a doc.

I have no issue with complementary medicine, including massage therapy, chiropractic or acupuncture, but all these cost as well. If money is a big deal, perhaps you have access to your local team's physical therapist or trainer who may be of help.

Bottom line for back pain sufferers is that it is a life long affliction and prevention, with development of truncal stability, strength and flexibility needs to be a forever consideration.

Good luck.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

Thanks, Doc. The pain, which originated in the lower left side, has moved through the entire back and even sides, as well as down the left leg. I realize now that stretching/exercise is going to have to remain constant for the remainder of my life. I am moving a little bit easier today but am still hindered. One tip I received was to bend foward while in a sitting position, which has helped a little. Once I am more flexible, I will start slowly.

Fortunately, no bowel troubles. ;D

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Plenty of injuries on the sports menu this week, but the blog went in a different direction talking about diabetes.

"We live in a very narrow range of normal. In that range, the body performs well, but slip outside those norms and the body spirals slowly out of whack. We take most of the internal controls for granted since they are on autopilot, but many people need to fly manually."

Hope you enjoy. As usual, all comments or questions are welcome.

www.mddirect.org/blog/index.php

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The La Russa DUI arrest has been bothering me since the story broke, perhaps because alcohol seems to be a co-factor in many of the trauma patients in the ER. It was time to visit about DUIs on the blog today. The tease:

0.093 has been on my mind for days. The number shouldn’t matter. You’ve either had too much to drink or you haven’t. It’s below the Mendoza line but it’s the circumstances that bother me about the 0.093

The rest is online now at www.MDdirect.org/blog/index.php

Thanks to all for your support.

Draft saved Draft deleted