1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dobie Grey "drifts away," RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 7, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Used to see Mr. Gray kicking around Nashville a lot when I was a kid. Seems you can't listen to a 70s soft-rock station more than 20 minutes and not hear his signature tune.

http://www.dobiegray.com/

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Great, great song. RIP.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sonny Bono was Phil Spector's right-hand man before they fell out, so the naming of Dobie Gray is not totally out of the blue.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

One of the best covers of "Drift Away" you'll hear... Aug. 20, 1984, Springsteen at the Meadowlands with special guests Steve Van Zandt (who had left the E Street Band at that point to pursue a solo career) and the Miami Horns...

(audio only, no video)

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Springsteen's got nothin' on Uncle Kracker.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He's finally back in with the in crowd.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Good song. R.I.P.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Also dying Tuesday, another non-country, Nashville music figure: Barbara Orbison. She died from pancreatic cancer exactly 23 years to the day from the death of her husband, Roy.

When I was working on Music Row, Barbara was known for having the very best parties in town...they'd start at about 2 in the afternoon at the big office building on West End that she owned and they'd roll on until 5 in the morning. Every songwriter in town would hang out there, and they'd attract the wannabe singers like Toby Keith, who would in turn attract the wannabe video models, so before you knew it, the place would be packed.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

ESJ, there is a fantastic version of song from Memphis in 1985, which is on one of the Greasy Lake compilations. I couldn't find it on You Tube. IMO, one of the top 3 Bruce covers of all time (along with "I Don't Wanna Go Home" from the GOTJ tour stop in Asbury and "Higher and Higher" from Philly last tour).

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Can't stand that song.

And that's why.

RIP, anyway.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Dobie Gray is black?
    Did not picture that. Never looked up a photo or saw him on TV. Figured he looked like Van Morrison but with a huge beard. Son of a bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted