1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Your Recline Your Seat On Airplane?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 31, 2007.

?

If there is person sitting behind you do you still recline your seat?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't recline on airplanes - partly out of courtesy for the person behind me and partly because I don't find reclining airplane seats all that comfortable.

The people in front of me never seem to have that same compunction. The last flight home from Vancouver I was on Westjet who have Direct TV instead of movies. I'm about halfway through the first period of a Stanley Cup final game and the idiot woman in front of me reclines her seat all the way back. Now I've got crappy TV because I can't get a good angle on the screen.

I hate her.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

6-foot-6 with extremely bad knees needing replacement here and i never recline. i try to get an exit row seat. on southwest flight recently i wanted to kill the little 5-9 pukes in them while i was stuck in very back row of a 100 percent full flight. i don't think i could physically take the toll of long flights.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Was your wife drinking too? Cause that could have been r-e-a-l fun...

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

The canvas hammocks in steerage do not recline.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

6. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Neither of us were drinking - we were coming back from a week at an all-inclusive in Montego Bay.... which meant alcohol was the last thing we wanted at that point. Plane was cramped and hot, which just made the flight (and the actions of those around us) worse..

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

This is the real key. I have since changed up the flight as more options are available but when I was flying over to China a few years ago, I would first fly to San Fran, have a lay-over and then another long flight. The total time was 24-hours before I would be walking out of the Chinese airport with my bags.

For those flights and the time difference, I would stay up and sleep on the plane. I reclined my chair. I never had anyone act like dick but if someone decided that I wasn't allowed to put my seat down the problem wouldn't be mine for very long.

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I don't usually mind the people who recline and inch or so. It bothers me, but it's not a big deal.

But as soon as they recline the whole way, I'll compensate. If the person behind me gets upset, I just let them know I'm compensating for the people in front of me - a domino effect. That would take care of things.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Put me in the camp of "never recline" unless there's no one behind. But even then, it's not like the seat becomes magically more tolerable. I've given up getting comfortable anywhere but first class, and I'm only up there if I take a voluntary bump and a gate agent smiles upon me with the free pass to airplane mecca. That last happened in about 2002.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that's a story. Damn.

11. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

I call bullshit. Moving the seat back two inches is nowhere near as vindictive as any of these things — things you've never done. Ever.

Anyway, I recline. Every fucking time.

And I hope I sit in front of you on my next flight, so when you pull any of that shit, I get us both Air-Marshaled off the flight.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I despise airplanes. The act of flying doesn't bother me, but I can't remember a single flight that I was comfortable on. I can't wait until they make trains that routinely sustain speeds over 200 MPH and are on-time at least 85% of the time.

Yeah, like that's going to happen any time.

Draft saved Draft deleted