1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you wear a mask in public

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Jul 17, 2020.

?

Do you wear a mask in public

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

This is why America cannot have nice things.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I agree 100 percent with you.

Fuck em.

And it seems where I live, the mask less have dwindled in number to a more pure form of imbecile.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I think it is becoming more normal. People are having fun with fashionable masks. It is much like a hat!

4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've done that several times in recent months when I've been going several places in the same outing. When I'm going to be in the car three minutes, you can bet I'm just leaving the mask on instead of taking it off when I get in the car and putting it back on three minutes later when I'm getting out of the car.

lakefront and gingerbread like this.
  5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The only time I do that is if I'm bouncing between stores and really don't want to fiddle with removing and reapplying my mask in the span of two minutes. Now driving home? Yeah that's a bit much.

lakefront likes this.
  6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I hate the thing so bad that as soon as I hit the door, (as long as there is no one close) I yank it off long before I ever even get to my truck.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The weird thing about these anti-maskers is that it appears they are really more interested IN the confrontation than avoiding the discomfort. Shoot, I got stuff to do. Go into a store, get in, get out - shoot wear a mask, get on with your life. Or perhaps they have so little going on, being an anti-masker IS their life now.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was in the no mask camp at one time, though I wore it to be nice. But with Virginia in Phase 3 and NC still in Phase 2, I can’t refute the argument.

I still hate the damn thing.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm truly fascinated by this mentality.
    If it's not political, you presumably don't want to wear one because it's uncomfortable, or you don't like being told what to do.
    So, if you DO wear one, at best, you're uneasy for as long as needed to do your errands or be part of a functioning society.
    At worst, you're preventing something like this:

wicked and 3_Octave_Fart like this.
  10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Anyway, my answer is yes, of course. If I'm hiking or walking the dog, I have one around my neck, in case I come near fellow hikers.
    And sometimes when I'm driving, I leave it on, even if I'm alone in the car. It might be because I have to make several stops within close distance, and can't be bothered to fuss with it. It might be because I didn't put on sunscreen under the mask, and this melanoma survivor needs that block from the sun.
    I don't get why so many are irked by what others do in the privacy of their cars.

Meanwhile, my aunt has for more than a week been stuck in ICU at a tiny hospital in Arizona's White Mountains, where she spends the summers. If she is to survive, she needs to be airlifted to a hospital in Phoenix where she can get proper care, but NOT ONE SINGLE BED has been available.
    Wear your damn masks, people. Eventually this will affect you, or a relative, or a friend, and your selfishness will hit home.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Already chimed in and agree with the others urging masks, but in a metro setting ... went out today - to help run errands as I don't seek excuses to go out on a frequent basis - and was really surprised that at least four people didn't bother with masks and ran out of fingers counting people who either had their noses protruding over the top of their mask or pulled it down under their chin. Worse, one looked like a young pregnant woman. She alone could wear one to protect herself, those around her and the upcoming bundle of joy.

This area has shown much more responsibility than areas closer to where I'm from. Usually ...

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If you’re around people in an indoor space, or even outside around a lot of people where social distancing isn’t possible, wearing a mask is literally the least you can do.

Car? Home? Out by yourself? No mask, no worries.

Otherwise, it’s just the dumb, stubborn assholeary that has this shit still going on in late July.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted