1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to write a book?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 25, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wrote one screenplay and lately I've been jonesing to give it another try.

The idea I'm currently kicking around would be completely impossible to film on a shoestring budget, however.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yes. I'd like to write three. One about my life; one about the field; and a fiction one on the rise of four umpires through their hometown, to the minor leagues and into the majors. But I'm not sure about the market for the third idea. The first two, I need many more years of experience and living to do.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I am kicking around an idea right now. Actually need to put it down on paper, talk to the interested parties.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

To the letter.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I hate to be an asshole (which I am for a lot of people here) but if I read one more " I have an idea for a book" I'm going to scream.

An idea is worth fuck-all because "ideas" are a dime a dozen.

Sorry, but a lot of this thread sounds like a college bullshit session.

Until you do your homework about how book publishing works, all the "ideas" in the world won't amount to more than a literary jerkoff.

Smasher's done it. Jones has done it. FoF has done it and I believe, from the sounds of things, jgmacg has at least one under his belt. They know how it works. And 99 times out of 100, an idea ain't gonna cut it.

And trust me, if you walk into a publisher's office with simply an idea for a book, you've immediately killed whatever potential it may have had .

6. Moderator1

I've done it.
    And I have several ideas for others.
    Where do I fall in here?

7. Wow, JR. Talk about a buzzkill.

Look at the thread title. People are answering that question. If it's a little too "BS" session for you, move along to something else.

And besides, every book happens because someone had an idea. That's generally how it works.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have several books in mind. One is a historical novel. Another is a look back at my first year as a manager at my current shop.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sheesh, JR.

I've done it. The book is so old now that some of the autographed copies (and there weren't many!) have popped up at online used-book sites. Really disappointed to find one that was inscribed "thanks mom and dad."

10. Moderator1

We were at the buck table the other night and my son said, "Your book's future home."
    Little fucker.

11. Buck table?

12. Moderator1

Yeah. Books for a buck. Last chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted