1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want to write a book?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

You guys are all nuts. That's great you all have or want to knock out a book. Much respect coming from this corner ... don't think I'd have it in me.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There's a running thread in the Workshop for those of you with questions about the craft and practice of book writing. Handy motivational stuff, too, if you're having trouble figuring out how to start. Or stop.

Drop in.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36781/

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Austin Murphy stole my idea. But I actually lived it - he just pretended to live it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I would like to and have some ideas. Probably non-fiction if I did. Right now, I am sticking to working on a few screenplays. Finished one with a friend, about to finish our second and have some others in mind.

5. I've got three ideas for non-fiction and a few for fiction. I'd really love to do the non-fictions, but unless I was given an advance big enough to live on, there's just no way.

I started one of the fictions about a year ago, got busy and just never got the train rolling again. Perhaps I should give it another go.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Done it. It's a lot of work. A <b>lot</b> of work, especially if you're doing your regular stuff along with it.

Pragmatically speaking, didn't really make enough money to justify the amount of work involved.

But when they sent me copies of the finished product, my hands were shaking as I opened the box and pulled a book out.

The doing is an ordeal, but having done it is a great feeling.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As I'm sure published authors such as Jones and Friend of the Friendless can attest, writing a book is a totally different creature than a feature story or even a long magazine article.

An "idea" for a book isn't worth squat.

A book is a building. You have to have the architectural plans down first.

I'd suggest people visit this thread over at "Writer's Workshop" that our friend jgmacg recommends (and started) Good post by Jones.

And Smasher is right. If you're doing it for the money, try Powerball.

Yes, some people do OK financially but for every author getting a six figure advance, there are thousands getting $10,000 and a free lunch courtesy of their agent.

8. I don't want to do it for money ... I just need money to do it, if that makes sense.

I want to do it for that thrill that Smasher mentions, having this permanent, lasting work to point to and say, "I did that!"

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'm actually in the process of working out a children's book series. Hopefully it works its way onto PBS, Nick or Disney.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Not for all the money in the world.

I kill myself to crank out 20 inches. No thanks.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have no desire to write a book. A screenplay on the other hand interests me greatly.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm more interested, frankly, in nudging my wife into writing a book. I think she has something to say.

Me? I'd like to plug into one of those detective series deals, like the Stephanie Plum novels.

Draft saved Draft deleted