1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Want To Be Like Jason?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FreddiePatek, May 18, 2007.

1. IU90

IU90 Member

I can only chime in my agreement with the rest, that is a very poor piece of writing. And a not-so-subtle subtext suggesting this kid has quite an ego that's gonna grow increasingly unbearable as he climbs the ladder (and he will). I particularly enjoyed the part where he informs us how he was able to uncover the real sweet-hearted TO that all the other journalists missed. Lord help us when this one grows up.

2. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

And why wouldn't TO be happy with an interview that allowed him to talk about all the good he is doing in the world and didn't address anything negative?

Shocking that TO thought "that's good".

It's great that this kid wants to be a sports columnist. More power to him.

It's just....that....why the AP cares to report it....I don't understand.

3. this is a kid with a seemingly sincere passion for this bizness. there's no reason to beat him up. none.

he has editors. i'd actually like to see this thread locked.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, yes, there is a reason to critique a kid who obviously sucks at writing but wants to be a writer and made his desire to do so public on the AP wire.

And I suppose you should have your request to have this thread locked honored because, after all you did give $300 to this place to keep it open so you should also dictate policy as well.... :p

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's moved on the AP wire. It'll be in newspapers this weekend. No reason to stop discussion it.

Again, the only thing I don't like about it is if he wants to be a sports writer, he needs to quit waiting for the AP to hand him Tim Dahlberg's slot and go find a sports gig at a daily paper.

6. occasionally let's be bigger people and not devour our young. his editors did him a disservice. i'm sure this was his first column. it needed editing. that's not surprising.

7. Reel E Reel

Reel E Reel Member

Fair point.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It needed a lot of editing, and I'm rather disappointed that it didn't happen. Good columns can be difficult to write for even full-time columnists, let alone somebody who's never done it before.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Better point.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Imagine what we would be doing if a journalist started off a column saying he wanted to be like Bill Plaschke, Joe Posnanski and Bob Ryan and then went on to write drivel about how well they connected with Curt Schilling because he had been an athlete in college and knew what it was like...

We'd be tearing him a new asshole...

Fair is fair...

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I want to know what newspaper ends up running this crap. simply horrible.
    i have high school kids on staff who have blogs that read better than this.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

I ask this in all seriousness.
    Maybe his editors want to make a point to him that putting this out was a mistake, so they intentionally left it alone?

Draft saved Draft deleted