1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Want To Be Like Jason?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FreddiePatek, May 18, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i still can't believe this thread is arguing the importance of good spelling on a message board.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I know. You're not alone. And perhaps part of the reason is because you and others don't think it's as important as it is. We see plenty of evidence of that lately.

If u gro up riting lik ths, u won't B abl 2 rit correckly wen u have 2.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Your posts are becoming more and more UNREADABLE.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i'm not saying spelling isn't important in this biz, so don't lump me in a group I'm not a part of.
    But this IS a message board, where we take time out of our day to type quickly some response to something that really doesn't matter instead of doing the job we're being paid to do. And then, we don't proofread that response, which is one of the most important traits of a good journalist.
    Jemele could be one helluva (hell of a) proofreader for all we know.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still adds up to a weak excuse, Riddick. Sorry.

6. andykent

andykent Member

... and now we've denigrated into the spelling police again, on a MESSAGE BOARD?!?

Shot and the others, you're whole obsession with this is what's weak and another vivid example of petty jealousy.

Why don't one of you start a separate thread focused on proper spelling, grammar and syntax in message board posts, e-mails, text messages and instant messages? Then perhaps we could get back to discussing thoughts and opinions that are actually pertinent to this specific thread.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If I'm going to engage in a serious discussion (such as this one), I like to take the discussion seriously. And I respect the opinions of others who do the same.

It's not a waste of my valuable time to spell something right, because I cringe if everything I type is littered with errors. I don't care if it's in an e-mail, or at my job, or on a message board -- it's about self-respect, about performing correctly a skill that second-graders are expected to get right, no matter who's watching or whether I'm getting paid for it. I don't think that's too much to ask, of myself or anyone else.

I think it's hard for you to take my opinion seriously if I don't take my own words seriously enough to spell them right. Maybe that's just me. But I don't think so.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Good post, buck.

No, we don't need to hold each other to the standards of a story written for publication. But how hard is it to give it a reasonable try with the spelling and grammar. If you can write worth a damn, you ought to be able to write passable sentences without agonizing over them.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thank you two.

andy, I hope it's not too hard for you either.

But doggone ... it just might be. ;D

10. andykent

andykent Member

Well doggone it shot, you got me. Lock me up and throw away the key, then disregard anything I have to say on here from now on since I typed and posted too fast to go back and catch that one.

And of course, neither did spell check since it was spelled correctly, just used in the wrong context.

All right, I respect your professionalism and hopefully you respect mine. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as far as how critical we should be when it comes to message board posts. :)

We all have our pet peeves, and mine is to be able to scan this site for thoughtful and engaging debates without having to wade through too much mudslinging and off-topic concerns.

Now they're about to announce the winner on American Idol so I better look away from the screen for a few minutes.

11. andykent

andykent Member

OK. It's over. And before anyone says anything, I'm covered because there was a bit of a sports connection there. Winner Jordin Sparks' father is former New York Giants defensive back Philippi Sparks.

Now you can fire away.

12. IU90

IU90 Member

This is the best defense of the grammar police I've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted