1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Want To Be Like Jason?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FreddiePatek, May 18, 2007.

1. andykent

andykent Member

Guy,

Nicely done -- although I can't quite believe that closing description of your physique, unless you've been consuming all of your daily meals at the golden arches since the last time I saw you.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Guy is Morgan Spurlock? :D

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you bet dmac. choke on it, as well.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bullshit. spelling a dead man's name wrong to make a sarcastic point is sheer stupidity. nothing more nothing less. this person showed they can't even make the most simplistic of points without fucking up.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Tom,

Take a deep breath.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

elliotte, not nearly as worked up as you think i am. simply making a point.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

If true, what differs about my point? White males will suddenly fall victim to an employment squeeze, the industry purging them out, by the work of Spike Lee? Does a gender based grant for women in fields where they are historically in short number disenfranchise anyone?

Seriously....

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem becomes -- What if a poor urban white kid applies for one of these endowed scholarships and he's more qualified to receive it than the black kid who does?

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

It's bigger than being poor when it comes to black students. Seeing how black male kids are shepherded into special education classes, baseless rumors like "acting white" allowing subpar teachers and administrators to hide behind the myth that black kids are adverse to education, poor white still have a leg up.

And wheres your point of reference of this growing problem you've cited? Who are the vast pool of poor whites being cast aside for the always less than qualifed (always the same old angle) group of black kids?

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I generally consider you to be one of the more intelligent posters on here, but you are also one of the more emotional posters and that too often clouds your judgement. And this, is a whole lot of hogwash because some of the worst schools in America are in rural poor, for lack of a better term, white trash America.

Poverty is at the heart of bad schools, not race. In fact, there has been initiatives in my neck of the woods to ensure that the two inner city high schools in the blackest area receive the most funding, the most up to date text books and both were renovated recently even though one is relatively new.

And I'm not even sure what "acting white" constitutes, but if that means speaking in proper English and learning how to read literature that doesn't spell the word ask "Aks," then I think that is a good thing. It is not culturally biased to want to hold black students to the same standards you hold white students.

And I didn't say it was a growing problem, white kids being denied this endowment, I said it would likely be a legal problem.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Poverty is at part of the issue, but like many things dismissed in here, race does matter. I can cite study after study actually showing it plays a huge role from public policy down to the teachers and their interactions with black student.

African Americans comprise 12% of this nation population, yet somehow the argument that poor whites are being squeezed out by that 12% (considering 99% aren't qualifed for these scholarships) is deemed a pressing matter.

And my point about the "acting white" thing is beyond the limited example you gave.

Karolyn Tyson, a sociologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and William Darity Jr., an economist at Duke and U.N.C., coordinated an 18-month ethnographic study at 11 schools in North Carolina. What they found was that black students basically have the same attitudes about achievement as their white counterparts do: they want to succeed, understand that doing well in school has important consequences in later life and feel better about themselves the better they do.

But when you have the David Armors of the world who help shape legislation that under funds $4 billion from NYC black and Latino students on the basis that:

you tell me how addressing the many hurdles black kids have to overcome somehow hurts a poor white kid?

Be honest. This has zero to do about your "worry" of legal problems that may come out of it.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And a good point it is. If people can't spell correctly on a journalism message board, they deserve anything they get. Period.

People can argue the point and make it seem like that's heavy-handed ... and THEY'RE wrong.

As far as "Van McKenie" ... well, if that had gotten by without the poster being slammed, that's what would have been disappointing.

You don't get to dismiss spelling and grammar corrections by pointing to the content of the matter. If you're a journalist, you're supposed to have BOTH, dammit.

Draft saved Draft deleted