1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you want Te'o on your favorite NFL team?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Feb 2, 2013.

?

Do you want Te'o on your favorite NFL team?

1. Yes

35.1%
  2. No

64.9%
  1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You guys are going to have to forgive Devil. He's not ready to live in a world just yet where Joe Flacco has a super Bowl ring and has stepped on the Steelers throat four of the last five.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The poll isn't stupid at all...

Would I want my favorite team to draft him?

What's the value? I had serious questions about the guy's NFL abilities long before the scandal came out. He seems undersized and overrated. Does that mean he can't play? No... But some mocks had him as a top 10 pick... For a linebacker to go in the top 10, he should be an elite player, I'm talking Pro Bowl within a year or two... The 49ers took Patrick Willis with the ninth pick. I'm not saying Te'o would have to be as good as Willis to merit going that high, but he doesn't strike me as an elite player.

He reminds me a bit of AJ Hawk, a player who was an elite college player who never lived up to potential in the NFL, which is not to say he was a bust, just not as good as he was expected to be.

Even before the hoax came out, Te'o shouldn't have been more than a late first-round pick. I tend to think he'll slide out of the first round now. It would not surprise me at all if he goes somewhere in the 40-50 range, maybe to a team that can afford to take a chance on him.

3. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Maybe another Brian Bosworth?

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And the one loss was to Charlie Batch. :)

They will be crazy to take Boldin away from him next season, though.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You make my point. There are circumstances in which you would want Te'o on your favorite team. Everyone but 93Devil would take Manti Te'o to fill a need at middle linebacker if he were available in the fourth round, right? No one would take Manti Te'o in the top five, right?

Then the question is not a matter of yes or no. And the poll is stupid and reductive.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pardon me for pushing the threadjack a little farther and ruin a valid overall point with some factual corrections.

If you mean by "stepped on the Steelers throat" that his team won the game, that would be three of the last four games, a sweep in 2011 and a split in 2012. The Steelers won the two meetings before that. Flacco's shaky performances against Pittsburgh this season were part of why so many people were down on the Ravens going into the playoffs. He played badly enough that the Ravens nearly lost to the Steelers with an injured Byron Leftwich taking the snaps and did lose to them with Charlie Batch.

Of course, he and the Ravens picked it up significantly after that.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would hope so, but I'm guessing he means it, which is even dumber than saying Te'o isn't even worth having as an undrafted free agent.

9. 93Devil

But right now the poll is a 9/22 split.

10. Mizzougrad96

That's an interesting comparison... The difference was, Boz was already injured when he was drafted, which was why he (brilliantly) got a contract different from what just any rookie was getting in those days. I think that was a bigger reason why he crapped out in the NFL than being undersized.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Given the stupidity of the poll, it shouldn't be used for analysis of anything.

12. 93Devil

It's a simple direct question.

Your answer is yes.

If you want to create a poll listing what round to select him, be my guest.

Draft saved Draft deleted