1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Nov 13, 2008.

?

Do you think you will be at your paper this time next year?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Maybe

16 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. I don't know and it makes my stomach hurt thinking about it

14 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. I'm looking to leave on my own

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. Yes, but my job will be different

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Meh.

TheMethod makes the best point here. Independent of the business climate, there are so many things that can go wrong in a newspaper career it's a wonder any of us can stay employed.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I voted "I don't know ... "

On one hand, I'm the SE. So I think I might be the last one left as a one-man band.

On the other, I've been here 14 years. And the suits could dump me for somebody cheaper.

3. A better question may be, "Will your paper be in business this time next year?"

4. azom

azom Member

No. Grad school.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm at a smaller daily, so I'd like to think my job is safe.

Then again, you never know.

6. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I voted no. Whether they toss me or I bolt, I'd love to be out within a year.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Looking to leave on my own terms, though I'm in no danger of being fired and enjoy what I'm doing.

My SE and I were shooting the breeze at a bar, post-Saturday night crunch time. I mentioned that I might stay around for four or five years before considering other options. He looked at me like I just shit on the barstool and said if I don't get out in two or three years, prospective employers will wonder why I couldn't. Seeing as it's coming from a guy who'll have to re-train someone on writing, agate and layout if I bolt, I find the advice to be quite solid.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I can wager a very large sum of money that I won't be at my paper at this time next year.

9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

We just went through a round of buyouts/layoffs, and I made it through ... not that I was too worried.

I've been on staff less than a year, so I'm the least-tenured Sports guy, I'm the youngest, and I'm probably the least paid full-timer.

So I'm feeling pretty safe right now.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I said yes.

We just started this thing, so hopefully it'll be more than a year before the money man starts getting fidgety.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ditto? What's with you and Mrs. Editude, shotty?

12. agateguy

agateguy Member

I'm not sure that I'll be at my job in 12 months.

Actually, I'm not sure anymore about nearly anything in the newspaper industry.

I'm more sure of two things:

1. Years ago I wish I had decided to take another career path. The path I am thinking of would have had much more security than what I do now. I chose journalism because I wanted to be a sportswriter instead.

2. I have to consider a career change. I don't know how best to go about it, but doing nothing and living as if the status quo will remain is financial suicide for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted